|This article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2008)|
|The Caribbean Communications Network Television 6 (CCN TV6)|
Current CCN TV6 logo
|Launched||August 31, 1991|
|Network||Caribbean Communications Network|
|Owned by||Caribbean Communications Network (operated by One Caribbean Media)|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Country||Trinidad & Tobago|
|Broadcast area||Most of Trinidad and Tobago|
|Affiliates||Trinidad Express Newspaper, 88.7 FM, Hott 93|
|Headquarters||35-37 Independence Square, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago|
|6 and 18|
The Caribbean Communications Network Television 6 (CCN TV6) is the largest private television broadcaster in Trinidad and Tobago. The station operates an analog composite NTSC 525 television system, broadcasting on channels 6 and 18 in the island of Trinidad, channel 5 on the Flow Cable System and channel 19 in Tobago. The station's studios are located at 35-37 Independence Square, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
CCN TV6 began broadcasting on August 31, 1991, with viewing hours from 6:00 am to 10:00 p.m. daily. Prior to that date, audience choices were limited as the Government owned Trinidad & Tobago Television (ttt) was the only choice. TV6 became the first independently operated television station in the English-speaking Caribbean, broadcasting to over 80% of Trinidad and Tobago’s population. Once TV6 was launched, the television monopoly was broken with the opening of the market.
The station was launched by Caribbean Communications Network, owners of the Trinidad Express, in 1991. By the first half of 2002, TV6 started to solidify its online integration with the flagship Trinidad Express website. CCN TV6 began including much of its nightly newscast online, for customers to access as news-on-demand on the Trinidad Express website. In 2005, CCN merged with the Barbados Nation to form a new company One Caribbean Media Ltd. The General Manager of CCN TV6 is Shida Bolai.
The station is the top rated broadcaster in Trinidad and Tobago and its programme lineup consists of popular local and American television series such as Crime Watch, Grey's Anatomy, Without a Trace, Smallville, Monk, Desperate Housewives and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, US Daytime soap-operas such as The Bold And The Beautiful and One Life to Live, local and regional drama series such as Westwood Park and the Jamaican series Royal Palm Estate and local news.
The TV6 News runs a full hour from 7:00 pm which also has a radio simulcast of that program on 88.7 FM. The station also runs a half-hour newscast at 10:00 pm and a fifteen-minute newscast at 12 noon. The morning current affairs programme Morning Edition features interviews with top newsmakers in Trinidad and Tobago.
The TV6 News is anchored by Samantha John, Joel Villafana and Damian Salandy. The station also airs hourly News Briefs throughout day, as well as News Updates at 5:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 6:30 pm and 9:00 pm. Dominic Kalipersad heads the station's newsroom.
The flagship 7:00 pm broadcast has been ahead in ratings since 1997, making it one of the most watched programmes in Trinidad & Tobago and is also the leader in bringing breaking news from around the country.
Anchors and presenters
Former Anchors and presenters
- 1991-1993 - Nigel Augustus, Francesca Hawkins and Ira Mathur
- 1993-1995 - Dominic Kalipersad and Francesca Hawkins
- 1995-1997 - Francesca Hawkins
- 1997-1998 - Vaughn Salandy
- 1998-2003 - Carla Foderingham, Roger Sant, Shelly Dass
- 2003-2005 - Nathalie Williams, Colleen Holder Roger Sant Shelly Dass
- 2006-2007 - Colleen Holder, Cherise D'Abadie and Samantha John
- 2007-2008 - Samantha John and Cherise D'Abadie
- 2008-2011 - Samantha John, Fabian Pierre, Diane Baldeo-Chadeesingh, Joel Villafana and Damian Salandy
- 2011-2013 - Samantha John, Diane Baldeo-Chadeesingh, Terrance Clark, Joel Villafana, Michelle Awai and Damian Salandy
Current anchors and presenters
- Samantha John - The TV6 News
- Dominic Kalipersad - The TV6 News (occasionally since 2007)
- Faine Richards - The TV6 News
- Phillip Lopez - TV6 News @ 10
- Damian Salandy - TV6 Weather
- Joel Villafana - TV6 Sport
- Michelle Ann Awai - TV6 Sport
- CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF BROADCAST EXCELLENCE (Thursday September 15, 2011
- IF IT'S HAPPENIN' IT'S ON 6!
- THE TV6 NEWS - REVEALING FACTS, PROVOKING OPINIONS