|Initial release||23 September 2003|
|Stable release|| (9 March 2015 ) [±]|
|Operating system||Windows XP and later
Mac OS X 10.5 and later
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
|Available in||47 languages|
CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner), developed by Piriform, is a utility program used to clean potentially unwanted files (including temporary internet files, where malicious programs and code tend to reside) and invalid Windows Registry entries from a computer. A public version 1.09 for OS X has been released along with a commercial Network Edition.
CCleaner can delete temporary or potentially unwanted files left by certain programs, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, McAfee, Adobe Flash Player, Sun Java, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and GIMP along with browsing history, cookies, recycle bin, memory dumps, file fragments, log files, system caches, application data, autocomplete form history, and various other data. The program also includes a registry cleaner to locate and correct problems in the Windows registry, such as missing references to shared DLLs, unused registration entries for file extensions, and missing references to application paths. CCleaner v2.27 and later can wipe the MFT free space of a drive, or the entire drive.
CNET editors gave the application a rating of 5/5 stars, calling it a 'must have tool'. It was awarded Editor's Choice Award in April 2009 by CNET. As of January 2014, it has been the most popular software on FileHippo for more than a year, and also has a 5-star editor's rating on Softpedia.
- "CCleaner v5.04". Official web site. Piriform. 25 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "CCleaner for Mac v1.09". Official web site. Piriform. 16 September 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "CCleaner for Android v1.08". Official web site. Piriform. 9 March 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "What operating systems does CCleaner support?". CCleaner - FAQ. Piriform. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "CCleaner for Mac OS X". Ccleaner.com. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "Changing the language CCleaner uses". CCleaner Documentation. Piriform Ltd. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download". Ccleaner.com. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "CCleaner - Features". Official web site. Piriform. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Tuning Windows: Less Bull, More Speed". 20 May 2009. Retrieved 2 June 2009.
- "Screenshot #5: The Startup Tool". Official web site. Piriform. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "CCleaner Version History". Official web site. Piriform. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "Screenshot #6: The System Restore tool". Official web site. Piriform. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Rosenblatt, Seth (28 October 2010). "CCleaner". Download.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Opris, Elena (7 January 2014). "CCleaner 4 Review". Softpedia.com. Retrieved 31 January 2014.