CCleaner 4.00 on Windows 8
|Initial release||23 September 2003|
|Stable release|| (17 April 2013 ) [±]|
|Operating system||Windows 2000 and later
Mac OS X 10.5 and later
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
|Available in||47 languages|
CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner), developed by Piriform, is a utility program used to clean potentially unwanted files and invalid Windows Registry entries from a computer. A public version 1.01 for the Mac OS X has been released along with a Network Edition.
CCleaner supports the cleaning of temporary or potentially unwanted files left by certain programs, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, McAfee, Adobe Flash Player, Sun Java, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip, GIMP and other applications along with browsing history, cookies, recycle bin, memory dumps, file fragments, log files, system caches, application data, autocomplete form history, and various other data. The program also includes a registry cleaner to locate and correct problems in the Windows registry, such as missing references to shared DLLs, unused registration entries for file extensions, and missing references to application paths. As of v2.27, CCleaner can wipe the MFT free space of a drive, or the entire drive itself.
CCleaner can be employed to uninstall programs. In addition, CCleaner allows the alteration of start-up programs, similar to the Microsoft Windows MSConfig utility. Users can disable start-up programs. As of version 2.19.901, CCleaner also allows users to delete system restore points.
CNET editors gave the application a rating of 5/5 stars, calling it a "highly-recommended" and "a must-have tool" in spite of some minor glitches. In addition to that, CCleaner was awarded the April 2009 Editor's Choice Award by CNET.
- Wise Disk Cleaner
- Desktop Cleanup Wizard
- Disk Cleanup
- Norton Utilities
- TuneUp Utilities
- Wise Registry Cleaner
- "CCleaner v4.02". Official web site. Piriform. 27 May 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "CCleaner for Mac v1.07". Official web site. Piriform. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "What operating systems does CCleaner support?". CCleaner - FAQ. Piriform. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "CCleaner for Mac OS X". Ccleaner.com. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "Changing the language CCleaner uses". CCleaner Documentation. Piriform Ltd. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download". Ccleaner.com. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "CCleaner - Features". Official web site. Piriform. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Tuning Windows: Less Bull, More Speed". 20 May 2009. Retrieved 2 June 2009.
- "Screenshot #5: The Startup Tool". Official web site. Piriform. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "CCleaner Version History". Official web site. Piriform. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "Screenshot #6: The System Restore tool". Official web site. Piriform. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Rosenblatt, Seth (28 October 2010). "CCleaner". Download.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 15 May 2011.