|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
|Traded as||NYSE: CDI|
|Industry||Engineering, Technology, Staffing|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Key people||Walter R. Garrison, Chairman of the Board;
Scott Freidheim, CEO
|Operating income||$ 20.916 million (FY 2013)|
|Net income||$ 12.948 million (FY 2013)|
|Total assets||$ 405.807 million (FY 2013)|
|Total equity||$ 285.174 million (FY 2013)|
|Employees||900 (December, 2013)|
CDI Corporation is a multinational company providing engineering, information technology and staffing services to clients in a range of industries including energy, chemical, aerospace, defense, transportation and financial services. The company employs 900 staffers and approximately 9,000 billable employees, and is headquartered in Philadelphia.
CDI Corporation was founded in Philadelphia in 1950 as Comprehensive Designers, Inc. The company provided temporary technical services to manufacturing industries, including servicing the growing automotive and defense industries. In 1956, Walter R. Garrison, an engineer with Boeing, joined the company as its Chief Engineer. In 1961, Garrison and two colleagues bought the company.
In 1972, the company diversified into the field of job placement by buying Management Recruiters International, a firm that focused on providing permanent management talent for clients.
In 1973, Comprehensive Designers, Inc. changed their name to CDI Corporation.
In 1982, the company began further diversification into temporary staffing services of clerical and unskilled workers, adding offices nationwide under the name Today's Staffing.
By the end of 1994, the company reported over $1B in revenue in the three core areas of technical services, temporary services and Management Recruiters, with approximately 3,000 customers.
In March 1997, the company elected Mitch Wienick to the position of CEO and President, to replace the retiring Walter Garrison. Garrison remained on the company's board of directors. In 1999, CDI purchased executive headhunting firm Humana International, further expanding its mid-level management search and recruitment services through the addition of Humana's 136 franchised offices in Europe and Asia.
In 2001, Mitch Wienick announced his retirement and Roger H. Ballou was elected as CDI's new president and CEO. In 2003, CDI announced the acquisition of AndersElite, a United Kingdom-based provider of building and construction professionals on a permanent and temporary basis.
In 2011, Paulett Eberhart was announced as CDI's new President and CEO, replacing the retiring Roger Ballou.
In August 2014, the company announced former Investcorp, Sears and Lehman Brothers executive Scott Freidheim as their new CEO.
Awards and recognition
CDI was named #25 on ENR.com's list of the top 500 Engineering design firms. CDI was selected as the 2013 Outsourcer of the Year by HDI, a professional association and certification body for technical service and support professionals. CDI was honored for "its commitment to excellence, efficiency and service quality." CDI's Virginia security team was honored by the Department of Defense with the James S. Cogswell award for providing Outstanding Industrial Security.
- "CDI Corp, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date Mar 6, 2014". secdatabase.com. Retrieved Oct 7, 2014.
- "CDI Corporation History". fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "MRINetwork Recruiting Pioneers". mrinetwork.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "10-K Annual Report". investor.shareholder.com. 1995-03-02. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Form 10-Q Quarterly Report". investor.shareholder.com. 1997-08-08. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "CDI acquires Humana International". Philadelphia Business Journal. 1999-04-04. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Paulett Eberhart Named President, CEO and Director of CDI Corp". PR Newswire. 2011-01-10. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "CDI taps ex-Sears, Lehman boss as new CEO". Philly.com. 2014-08-13. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- "Spencer Group appoints CDI AndersElite as recruitment partner". Recruitment International UK. 2014-04-24. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- "CDI Corporation 2013 Annual Report". CDICorp.com. 2014-04-06. Retrieved 2014-10-09.
- "The Top 500 Design Firms". ENR.com. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- "HDI Team Excellence Award". HDI. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "CDI Corp.'s Security Team in Portsmouth, Virginia Honored By Department of Defense for Outstanding Industrial Security". PR Newswire. 2013-06-27. Retrieved 2013-11-27.