CFS Resolution Island
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Controlled by||Royal Canadian Air Force|
CFS Resolution Island (BAF-5) is a short-range radar site. It is located 593 miles (954 km) north-northwest of CFB Goose Bay, Labrador. It is part of the North Warning System. During the Cold War, it was operated as part of the Pinetree Line network controlled by NORAD.
As a result of the Cold War and with the expansion of a North American continental air defense system, Resolution Island was selected as a site for a United States Air Force (USAF) radar station, one of the many that would make up the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.
The United States Air Force Northeast Air Command (NEAC) established a general surveillance radar station on Resolution Island in 1953, designating the site as "Resolution Island Air Station", with Site-ID of N-30. The 920th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned to the site on 19 January 1952. It was equipped with the following radars:
- Search Radars: AN/FPS-3C, AN/FPS-502
- Height Radars: AN/TPS-502
As a GCI base, the 920th's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. These interceptors were assigned to the 64th Air Division at Goose AFB, Labrador. In 1957, with the inactivation of NEAC, the station came under the jurisdiction of Air Defense Command.
Routine operations from the station were performed until 1 November 1961, when the station was inactivated and turned over to the Royal Canadian Air Force, which closed the facility.
The site was re-activated by the Canadian Forces as an unmanned North Warning System radar site in 1991. Most of the original buildings remain, mixed with new radar towers.
- Resolution Island (Nunavut)
- List of Royal Canadian Air Force stations
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- Cornett, Lloyd H. and Johnson, Mildred W., A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980,  Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson AFB, CO (1980).
- Winkler, David F. & Webster, Julie L., Searching the Skies, The Legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program,  US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories, Champaign, IL (1997).
- Information for Resolution Island AS, NT
- Resolution Island, Nunavut BAF-5 / RES-X
- Air Force magazine article on Resolution Island AFS, December 2011