||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2013)|
|Developer(s)||cFos Software GmbH|
|Initial release||7 July 2004|
|Stable release||9.64 / 21 July 2014|
|Operating system||Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008|
|Platform||IA-32 and x86-64|
cFosSpeed is a software solution for traffic shaping for the Windows operating system. It improves Internet latency while maintaining high transfer rates. The program attaches itself as a device driver to the Windows network stack where it can then perform packet inspection and layer-7 protocol analysis.
The software divides data packets into different traffic classes. This is achieved through a number of filtering rules that can be set by the user. Data traffic can thus be classified and prioritized by program name, by layer-7 protocol, by TCP or UDP port numbers, by DSCP tags as well as many other criteria.
Outgoing traffic is not sent out indiscriminately. Instead, data packets are first queued and then sent out in order of their priority. This way, data that is needed immediately is transmitted before less time-critical data.
Thus, even if large amounts of data are transferred at the same time, traffic shaping can keep interactive connections like SSH sessions, VNC sessions, VoIP calls, online games or other time-critical programs responsive. What’s more, quick transmission of TCP ACK packets will keep downloads fast. This is because the sender will only send out data after the receiver has acknowledged reception of older data (TCP flow control).
cFosSpeed also reduces network congestion for downloads by lowering the TCP window size to keep the sender from sending too much data at once.
In addition, cFosSpeed contains a packet filter firewall, time and volume online budgets, a skinnable transfer monitor and several other special purpose features. It has a filter language that allows experts to write their own traffic classifications.
- "GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87X-D3H (rev. 1.x)". Gigabyte website. Gigabyte Technology. 04-11-2013.
- "ASRock XFast LAN - cFos Software". cFos website. cFos Software GmbH. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Lüders, Christoph; Winkler, Martin (20 February 2008). "Tweaking TCP/IP". The H Online. Heise Media UK Ltd.
- "How does traffic shaping in cFosSpeed work?". cFos website. cFos Software GmbH. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "cFosSpeed 6.10" (in German). Heise Zeitschriften Verlag. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "List of cFosSpeed's features". cFos website. cFos Software GmbH. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "Filter language used to classify packets". cFos website. cFos Software GmbH. Retrieved 18 January 2011.