|Traded as||TSX: GIB.A
S&P/TSX 60 component
|Industry||IT services, IT consulting|
|Founder(s)||Serge Godin, André Imbeau|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Key people||Serge Godin (Executive Chairman)
Michael E. Roach (President and CEO)
|Services||IT, business consulting, and outsourcing services|
|Revenue||CAD$10.2 billion (2012)|
|Total assets||CAD$10.5 billion (2011)|
|Total equity||CAD$3.4 billion (2011)|
CGI Group Inc. is a multinational information technology (IT) consulting, systems integration, outsourcing, and solutions company headquartered in Montreal, Canada. It was founded in 1976 by Serge Godin, André Imbeau, and Jean Brassard. In August 2012, CGI acquired the British IT services company Logica for $2.7 billion Canadian, making it the fifth-largest independent IT services provider in the world. CGI employs approximately 69,000 people in over 400 offices across 40 countries.
CGI has a primary listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the S&P/TSX 60. It has a secondary listing on the New York Stock Exchange. CGI is included in the Forbes Global 2000 ranking of the 2,000 largest public companies in the world.
CGI stands for Conseillers en Gestion et Informatique in French, which translates to "Information Systems and Management Consultants", in English. However, the official English meaning is "Consultants to Government and Industry".
CGI was founded by Serge Godin in June 1976 in Chicoutimi, Canada. In 2004 CGI purchased the majority of American Management Systems (AMS), acquiring the commercial business and all government business not related to national defense. CGI is one of four primary Recovery Audit Contractors, established by the Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006, responsible for auditing region B. Since 2009, a subsidiary of CGI Group, CGI Federal, has been awarded over $1.4 billion in U.S. federal contracts, including an over $90 million contract by the United States Department of Health and Human Services for establishment of what would become the software back-end of the federal health insurance marketplace website. Approximately a quarter of its $1.3 billion revenue in the 2012-2013 fiscal year came from the US Federal Government.
In May 2010, CGI announced the acquisition of Stanley, Inc., for an enterprise value of approximately $1.07 billion. In August 2010, CGI finalized the acquisition of Stanley. In May 2012 CGI agreed to acquire the UK-based computer services company Logica for £1.7 billion in cash. The acquisition was completed on 20 August 2012.
Health Information Technology
In 2012, CGI had its $46.2-million contract to build an electronic diabetes registry for eHealth Ontario formally cancelled after it failed to meet deadlines imposed by eHealth and was eventually declared obsolete and overtaken by newer technology developed by other contractors.
US Federal Health Insurance Marketplace
Following the October 1, 2013 launch of open-registration for insurance under the Affordable Care Act, CGI Federal came under media scrutiny after numerous issues surfaced with the federal health insurance marketplace, Healthcare.gov, preventing many users from logging in and signing up for insurance through the site. CGI had won the $93.7 million Healthcare.gov job over 3 other companies in 2011 after previously being one of 16 companies certified on an IDIQ contract in 2007 to upgrade Medicare and Medicaid's systems. CGI has defended itself by noting that they were one of many contractors working on the project and that there was no primary lead contractor in charge.
US State Health Insurance Exchanges
CGI Group was also responsible for developing Hawaii Health Connector, Hawaii's Healthcare Exchange website which was launched on October 1, 2013 for state residents to sign-up, shop and compare prices of healthcare plans. Though the site did launch on October 1, 2013, underlying technical issues prevented registered users from comparing and shopping insurance plans until October 15, 2013 The Colorado health insurance market system, Connect for Health Colorado, also led by CGI which launched the same day has been running smoothly
Services provided by CGI include:
- Application management
- Business process services
- Infrastructure management
- System integration
- Business consulting
- Cloud computing
- "Company overview". Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "CGI completes Logica acquisition and announces new operations leadership team". CGI.com. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- The Global 2000
- Integrating into CGI
- "Our History". CGI Group. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Overview: Recovery Audit Contractor". Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- Andy Sullivan (November 19, 2013), Insight: Health site woes show Washington misses out on cutting edge technology, Reuters
- CGI Group to acquire Stanley for $1.07bn
- "CGI’s Acquisition of Stanley Finalized". GovConWire. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Logica agrees £1.7bn takeover by Canada's CGI". The Telegraph. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Logica agrees to be bought by Canadian rival CGI". BBC News. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "CGI Group closes $2.67B deal for UK-based Logica". Bloomberg Businessweek. 20 August 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Meet CGI Federal, the company behind the botched launch of HealthCare.gov
- It's Easy To Blame The Canadians For HealthCare.gov Problems