|Type||Employee owned corporation|
|Industry||Engineering, procurement, construction, and operations|
|Founded||Corvallis, Oregon (1946)
(as Cornell, Howland, Hayes and Merryfield)
|Headquarters||Meridian, Colorado, United States|
|Key people||Jacqueline Hinman, President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Revenue||US$5.56 Billion (FY 2011)|
|Operating income||US$185.2M (FY 2011)|
|Net income||US$125.4M (FY 2011)|
|Total assets||US$2.695 Billion (FY 2011)|
|Total equity||US$666.3M (FY 2011)|
CH2M HILL is an American engineering company that provides consulting, design, construction, and operations services for corporations, and federal, state, and local governments. The firm's headquarters is in Meridian, an unincorporated area of Douglas County, Colorado in the Denver-Aurora Metropolitan Area. The postal designation of nearby Englewood is commonly listed as the company's location in corporate filings and local news accounts. As of December 2011 CH2M HILL had approximately 30,000 employees due to the November 2011 acquisition of Halcrow Group Ltd., and 2011 revenues totaled $5.56 billion. The firm is employee-owned, with an internal stock market that operates buy/sell events quarterly.
CH2M HILL was founded in 1946 in Corvallis, Oregon by Oregon State University civil engineering professor Fred Merryfield and three of his students: Holly Cornell, James Howland and Thomas Burke Hayes (the firm was named after the founders, with Howland and Hayes making up the H2 portion). Cornell, Howland, and Hayes were all graduates of Oregon State University. The HILL name was added after a 1971 merger with Clair A. Hill and Associates of Redding, California. The firm remained headquartered in Oregon until 1980, when a decision was made to relocate to Colorado, a more central location in the United States.
Other key acquisitions include Black, Crow & Eidsness (a southeast U.S. engineering firm) in 1977, Gore & Storrie (a Canadian water and wastewater engineering firm) in 1995, Gee & Jensen (a Florida-based Ports and Harbor firm) in 2002, DeMil International (a U.S.-based weapons destruction firm) in 2002, EHS Consultants Ltd (a Hong Kong-based consulting firm), Lockwood Greene, the oldest continuously operating professional services firm in the United States in 2003, and BBS Corporation (an Ohio-based environmental engineering firm) in 2005. On September 7, 2007, CH2M HILL finalized the purchase of most of the components of VECO, an Alaska-based firm specializing in services to the oil, gas, and energy sector that had become embroiled in the Alaska political corruption probe. In December 2007, CH2M Hill acquired Trigon EPC. In March 2008, CH2M HILL acquired Texas-based Goldston Engineering, a company specializing in marine and coastal transportation engineering services. In July 2011, CH2M Hill finalized the acquisition of Booz Allen Hamilton’s State & Local Government Transportation Consulting (S&L Transportation) business. In September 2011, CH2M Hill announced that it intended to acquire the share capital of Halcrow Group Limited, a UK-based engineering consultancy that operates worldwide. The acquisition for £124m was completed on November 10, 2011.
CH2M HILL operates in multiple business units, among three key operating divisions, Water, Energy & Facilities; Government, Environment & Infrastructure; and International. Business groups served include: Water; Transportation; Operations and Maintenance; Government Facilities and Infrastructure; Nuclear; Environmental; Energy and Chemicals; Power; and Industrial and Advanced Technology.
CH2M HIll developed, maintains and publishes its own method for managing projects for clients, called the CH2M HILL Project Delivery System, which may be found at popular internet book retailers. As a firm specializing in project management, CH2M HILL has been associated in several large, complex projects around the world. In 2005, a CH2M HILL joint-venture known as Kaiser-HILL decommissioned and closed a former nuclear weapons facility at the Rocky Flats site in Colorado (former Rocky Flats Plant).
In Singapore, the company was part of a joint venture to replace the country's sanitary services infrastructure. The new Singapore Deep Tunnel System was designed to improve reliability, ease, and economy of operation, and to help handle Singapore's increasing waterfront utilization. CH2M HILL assisted in reconstruction efforts along the US Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Its main assignments included providing temporary housing, debris removal, and other services.
Other large projects include a $660 million gas-fired power plant in Australia, in conjunction with General Electric, and an $11.7 billion project to relocate American military bases in Korea. In August 2007, the Panama Canal Authority selected CH2M HILL to manage the $5.25 billion Panama Canal expansion project, which will add new locks to the Pacific and Atlantic ends of the canal and allow Post Panamax ships passage through the canal for the first time. In 2009, a CH2M HILL consortium was named program partner to oversee construction of the Crossrail project to expand London’s transit system.
On August 30, 2006, as part of joint venture CLM, CH2M HILL was a supplier for the London 2012 Olympics. The other two members of the venture are project management service provider Mace Group and Laing O'Rourke, the largest privately owned construction firm in the UK.
The company manages projects for the clients, taking into account the environmental footprint, aiming to use sustainable technology. The firm reduced its own internal environmental footprint in 2011.
In 2008, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) contracted a CH2M HILL company, CH2M HILL Plateau Remediation Company, LLC (CHPRC), to manage deconstruction and remediation of the Central Plateau on the Hanford Nuclear Site in eastern Washington, one of the world’s largest environmental cleanup projects. The project focused on shrinking the environmental footprint of the Hanford Site from a 586-square-mile (1,520 km2) area (large enough to fit the city of Los Angeles) to 75 square miles (190 km2) or less. More importantly, the project will reduce legacy infrastructure costs on site by more than $25 million per year starting in 2015. Using American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding, CHPRC sped up cleanup of the site over two years, reducing the site footprint 25 percent, employing an additional 1,350 people in the process. When ARRA funded work concludes in September 2012, the site footprint was targeted to shrink to a total of 290 square miles (750 km2), roughly half its previous size. Without ARRA funding, however, the scope of DOE contracted work at Hanford will be reduced. The company also announced that its workforce would reduce by up to 1,350 workers later that year through a combination of voluntary and involuntary separations.
Awards and honors
The firm was named by Fortune magazine as one of the top 100 companies to work for in 2013, marking the company's sixth time on the list. In October 2009, the company's Canadian division, CH2M HILL Canada Ltd., was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was featured in Maclean's newsmagazine. Later that month, CH2M HILL Canada Ltd. was also named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers, which was announced by the Toronto Star newspaper. The firm continues to be recognized on this annual list.
In 2009, CH2M HILL became the first company in the heavily male-dominated engineering and construction industry to receive the Catalyst Award in recognition of its efforts to develop and advance women in the company. The firm also was named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute for four consecutive years (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012).
In May 2012, CH2M HILL was named the Water Company of the Year.
On March 7, 2013, the US Department of Justice announced that CH2M Hill's Hanford Group, Inc., had committed federal criminal violations, defrauding the public by engaging in years of widespread time card fraud in its contract with the Department of Energy to manage and clean radioactive waste at the Hanford Nuclear Site in Washington State. The federal government alleged that two CH2M Hill Hanford employees charged the Department of Energy for hundreds of purchases from companies owned and run by the employees' spouses. The case resulted in a $1.5 million settlement agreement by the company and fraud charges against the two employees, with one serving jail time.
- "Employee Ownership". CH2M Hill. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- "Jacqueline Hinman, P.E., LEED".
- "CH2M Hill Companies Ltd 2011 Annual Report – Form 10-K – February 29, 2012.". secdatabase.com. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- "CH2M Hill – Our History". Ch2m.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Oregon State University". Oregonstate.edu. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- , CH2M.com
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "CH2M Hill Companies Ltd – 10-K – For 12/31/04". SEC Info. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "CH2M HILL buys blast chamber company, technology". August 23, 2002.
- [dead link]
- "CH2M Hill Lockwood Greene". Ch2m.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Brian E.Sturtevant. "BBS Corporation Joins CH2M HILL". Caprep.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "CH2M HILL Finalizes Acquisition of VECO – re> DENVER, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "CH2M HILL raises energy level : Energy". The Rocky Mountain News. January 17, 2008. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- [dead link]
- "CH2M HILL Announces Intent to Acquire Halcrow / CH2M Hill". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. September 26, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Completion of Acquisition of Halcrow / CH2M HILL". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. November 10, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "CH2M Hill – Home". Ch2m.com. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Project Delivery System : A System and Process for Benchmark Performance: CH2M HILL Project Managers: Books". Amazon.com. ASIN 0965261603.
- "CH2M Hill and PWD Consultants Awarded $123.9 Million Contract for Portion of One of the World's Largest Wastewater Projects". Business Wire. February 21, 2000.
- Rowson, Jessica (June 17, 2009). "Singapore sewerage: No space to waste | Features | New Civil Engineer". Nce.co.uk. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Dynamic-Korea". Dynamic-Korea. June 10, 2007. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Leader in Sustainable Engineering Improves Internal Environmental Performance for Sixth Year / CH2M HIll". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. March 8, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Qatar Supreme Committee Appoints CH2M HILL as the Programme Management Consultant for 2022 FIFA World Cup™ / CH2M HILL. Newsroom.ch2mhill.com (February 8, 2012).
- "100 Best Companies to Work For 2013 - CH2M HILL - Fortune". CNN.
- "Reasons for Selection, 2009 Canada's Top 100 Employers Competition".
- "Baxter, CH2M HILL, Gibbons, and KPMG Initiatives Honored With the 2009 Catalyst Award". Catalyst. March 31, 2009. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "For Third Year, CH2M HILL Named to Ethisphere’s “World’s Most Ethical Companies”". CH2M Hill. 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- CE News. CE News (May 4, 2012).
- "CH2M Hill Hanford Group Inc. Admits Criminal Conduct". US Department of Justice. 2013-03-07. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "CH2M Hill unit will pay $1.5M to settle case". Denver Business Journal. 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Routine timecard fraud alleged at former Hanford contractor". Tri-City Herald. 2011-11-04. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "DOE Cites CH2M Hill for Violating Nuclear Safety Rules". US Department of Energy. 2005-03-10. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "The Case of CH2M HILL: $2 Billion in Crony Stimulation". Accuracy In Media. 2011-11-30. Retrieved 2013-07-06.