|Broadcast area||Hamilton, Ontario/Toronto, Ontario|
|Slogan||#1 For Hot New Country!|
|Frequency||94.7 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||September 1, 2000|
|Owner||Durham Radio Inc.|
CHKX-FM is a Canadian radio station, broadcasting at 94.7 FM from Hamilton, Ontario and licensed to "Hamilton/Burlington." The station airs a country music format branded as KX 94.7. The station cannot be reliably heard in most of the Niagara Region due to the presence of adjacent-channel interference from WNED-FM, a classical music station in Buffalo, New York, USA.
CHKX-FM originally launched on September 1, 2000 as CIWV-FM with a smooth jazz format by Burlingham Communications Inc., a company controlled by Douglas Kirk, the owner of CJKX in Ajax. Local radio consultant Rae Roe initially owned a small interest in the company. Roe sold his interest in the station in early 2001.
On September 1, 2007 Burlingham Communications Inc merged with Durham Radio Inc., an Oshawa, Ontario based company also controlled by Douglas Kirk. The new merged entity continued operations under the Durham Radio banner.
On July 28, 2011, Durham Radio announced that CIWV-FM will flip to a country music format, branded as "KX 94.7" on Monday, August 1, 2011, at 5:30 AM. Nevertheless, "Wave 94.7" wasn't entirely put to rest, as the smooth jazz format continued on a 24-hour webcast at the wave.fm website. It also changed call sign adopting the call letters CHKX-FM. The station launched with morning show hosts Toff & Melissa, with the first song being "Come on Over" by Shania Twain.
The current lineup (as of August 1, 2011) is as follows:
- Morning Show (5:30 a.m.-9 a.m.): Toff & Melissa - Bill “Toff” Toffan, Melissa Forsyth & Kathy Hyde (News)
- Mid-Days (9 a.m.-2 p.m.): Linda Martelli
- Afternoons (2 p.m.-7 p.m.): Derm Carnduff
- Nighttime (7 p.m.-12 a.m.): Mike Fuller
- Program Director: Bill “Toff” Toffan
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-392
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-406
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-407
- Increase in power for CIWV-FM Hamilton/Burlington Decision CRTC 2001-496
- Hamilton - Technical change Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-507
- Hamilton - Technical change Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-575
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-350
- 94.7 CIWV Hamilton, ON To Flip To Country, Radio Insight, July 28, 2011
- KX 94.7
- CHKX-FM history at Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CHKX-FM