|City of license||Kitchener, Ontario, Canada|
|Broadcast area||Waterloo Region|
|Branding||96.7 CHYM FM|
|Slogan||"Today's Best Music"|
|Frequency||96.7 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||1929|
|Sister stations||CKGL, CIKZ-FM|
CHYM-FM can be received in far eastern parts of the Thumb region of the neighbouring U.S. state of Michigan. However, it often interferes with CHYR 96.7 in Leamington, Ontario. CHYM can also be well received to the south in Erie, Pennsylvania.
- For the history of the 96.7 FM frequency in Kitchener from 1949 to 1993, see CKGL.
The station was originally launched in 1929 as AM 645 CKCR. The station's frequency moved to 1510 in 1934. In 1949, FM sister station CKCR-FM was launched.
In 1965, the stations were acquired by Great Lakes Broadcasting, a consortium that included Maclean-Hunter. Both stations changed their callsigns to CHYM that year. In 1972, the FM outlet's callsign was changed again, to CKGL (evidently for 'Kitchener, Great Lakes').
In 1982, Maclean-Hunter took over full ownership of the stations.
The CHYM and CKGL intellectual units (call signs, branding, and programming, but not the licences themselves) swapped frequencies in 1992, with CHYM moving to the FM band. (CRTC approval was required, but only as a format swap between the existing stations at 570 and 96.7 as required under the regulations at the time, not a formal exchange of frequencies.) The stations became part of Rogers in 1994 when that company acquired Maclean-Hunter.
In late 2010, CHYM shifted its adult contemporary format to include more rhythmic and upbeat material in their playlist. There is a similar pattern at other AC stations in Canada.
Current Air Personalities
- George & Tara Morning Show: Weekdays 5 to 11 AM
- Sunday Mornings with George & Tara: Sundays 10 AM to Noon
- Adele Newton: Weekdays 1 to 7 PM (formerly on CKBT-FM)
- John Tesh Radio Show: Weeknights 8 PM to 1 AM.
- The Daily Dose with Dr. Oz: Weekdays at 8:40 AM & 5:40 PM.
- Sunday Morning Oldies Show: Sundays 8 to 10 AM
- Delilah Radio Show: Early 2000-December 2007. The station nearest Kitchener carrying her show is 107.9 Cars FM in Flint, MI. 99.9 Classy 100 FM in Erie, PA. And 96.1 JOY FM in Buffalo, NY. For more affiliates, visit this link: Deiliah Local Radio (At Tunein Official) & Official Delilah Page .
- "Decision CRTC 92-599". 1992-08-20. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- 96.7 CHYM-FM
- CHYM history at Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CHYM-FM
|This article about a radio station in Ontario is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|