CIDA City Campus
|CIDA City Campus|
|Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa|
|Website||CIDA City Campus|
The university is an accredited Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree school It has been called South Africa's "first low-cost tertiary education institution." Students who qualify for the business degree program receive a full scholarship including books, accommodations, transportation and tuition. According to the university, more than 1,500 students have graduated with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree. CIDA City Campus services 800 disadvantaged students and 80% of its graduates are reported to have found full-time employment upon graduation.
The CIDA City Campus was founded in 2000 with 250 students. The Branson School of Entrepreneurship (BSE) was created as a partnership between CIDA City Campus founder Taddy Blecher and Richard Branson and the BSE became part of the CIDA City Campus' curriculum. in Johannesburg, South Africa In 2007, after the teaching of the Transcendental Meditation technique to students concerned some of CIDA's donors, co-founder Taddy Blecher left the university to start another free educational body called the Maharishi Institute.
CIDA City Campus launched an educational program called, Mastery Academy of Construction, and began receiving financial support from the construction company Murray & Roberts, Barloworld and its Letsema Sizwe Trust in 2007.
The university suspended its first year program in 2009 to allow for a restructuring that would create a certificate for those that did not qualify for the BBA program. In June the university signed an agreement with Bournemouth University of Britain to create a school for tourism and hospitality. Using its CIDA Empowerment Fund, the university purchased a 25% ownership in Cambridge University Press. In December 2012 CIDA City Campus became financially distressed and was put under the control of a business rescue firm.
- Unknown author (March 30, 2012). "New Facilities for CIDA ICT Academy". IT Online. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "CIDA City Campus". The Diamond Empowerment Fund. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Blaine, Sue (23 November 2009) Cida suspends foundation programme BDlive, accessed 30 Dec 2012
- Unknown author CIDA Educating Africa, accessed June 5, 2013
- CIDA City Campus Website http://www.cida.co.za/images/stories/cidainformationpack.pdf
- Omnicor Survey  2009
- Jones, Gillian (May 9, 2013). "Lesson In Business Admin". Financial Mail. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Unknown author (June 7, 2005). "Taddy Blecher believes in dreams". Joburg: Official website of the City of Johanesburg. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- Staff writer (October 27, 2005). "Richard Branson opens entrepreneur school in Joburg". The Good News.
- Branson, Richard (November 22, 2010). "Richard Branson on the Myth of the Lone-Wolf Entrepreneur". Entrepreneur. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Ruddick, Graham (July 25, 2009). "Sir Richard Branson teaches African entrepreneurs Dragons' Den-style". The Telegraph. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Jones, Gillian (May 16, 2013). "Unlocking Potential". Financial Mail. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Blaine, Sue (12 November 2007) Groups tackle skills shortage, BDlive, accessed 30 December 2012
- Blaine, Sue (17 June 2009) Cida deals mean chances for poor students BDlive, accessed 30 Dec 2012