CIIO-FM is a Canadian radio station, that broadcasts tourist information at 96.1 FM in Ottawa, Ontario, known as Information Radio. The station also operates another station at 97.5 FM in Ottawa with the callsign CIIF-FM.
On October 4, 2007 the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) received applications for new radio stations in Ottawa to operate at 99.7 MHz. Three applicants have proposed the 99.7 MHz frequency, however, CIIO-FM plans to increase their effective radiated power. CIIO's application to increase power was denied on August 26, 2008. On the same date, a new radio station owned by Astral Media was authorized to broadcast at 99.7 FM in Ottawa, forcing CIIO to relocate to a new frequency; the new station, CJOT-FM, signed on on May 27, 2010.
In May 2010 the CRTC authorised CIIO to move to 97.5 MHz.
On December 7, 2011, Jack McGaw and Information Radio have applied to delete their French language Information Radio service CIIF-FM 97.5 in Ottawa and replace it with their English language service CIIO-FM 99.7 which was forced off the air when Astral's CJOT-FM was launched last year. Technical perimeters for 97.5 FM will not change.
- CRTC Decision 2005-601
- CRTC Decision 2007-75
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2008-222
- Radio-Info: "Canadian Radio News for May 2010", June 2, 2010.
- Radio-Info: "Canadian Radio News for December 2010", January 2, 2011.
- Broadcasting Part 1 Applications Open for Comment 2011-1188-0
- Broadcasting Part 1 Applications Open for Comment
- Information Radio
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for VF2516
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CIIO-FM (former 99.7 FM frequency; now listed at 96.1)
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CIIF-FM (formerly known as VF2516)