|Dawson Creek, British Columbia|
|Channels||Analog: 5 (VHF)
Digital: allocated 31 (UHF)
(Bell Media Radio G.P.)
|First air date||January 15, 1959|
|Call letters' meaning||CJ Dawson Creek|
|Transmitter power||9.5 kW|
CJDC-TV is a privately owned television station affiliated with CBC Television in Dawson Creek, British Columbia, Canada. It broadcasts an analogue signal on VHF channel 5 from a transmitter near 233 Road in Peace River.
CJDC first went on the air on January 15, 1959, and was originally owned by Mega Communications, the owner of CJDC radio. It was the Michaud family that introduced ratio and television to the BC Peace River Block. Henry and Mike Michaud, also known as Mike Laverne, started the television service in 1959. Before CJDC-TV went to air Mike Laverne went to Toronto to visit advertising agencies and hire a news editor to run the radio and television news services. Mike was successful in getting some new national ads for the television service and hired Australian born Val Wake as the first news editor of the new television news service. At the start the only visuals used by the television news service were 35mm transparencies.
The station was originally part of a two-station "sub-network" called Northern Television (NTV) since the early 1990s, until 2002, when it was disbanded and re-launched as Great West Television (joined by CKPG-TV). NTV and GWTV's programming consisted of mainly American shows imported and aired on CHUM Limited's NewNet/A-Channel stations, mixed with CBC's own programming. Great West Television itself would later become virtually non-existent in October 2006, when the CBC expanded its programming schedule to 24 hours a day, leaving only local news as the remaining parts of GWTV.
On March 16, 2012, it was announced Bell Canada would be acquiring Astral Media for $3.38 billion. However, the deal was rejected by the CRTC that fall. Bell submitted a revised takeover proposal in 2013, in which it will sell off a number of assets but keep CJDC. Bell has committed to maintaining the station's current conditions of license, including CBC affiliation, until the end of its license term in 2017. Bell owns two networks of its own, CTV and CTV Two, which compete with CBC. The deal has been approved by the Competition Bureau and once again awaits CRTC approval.
CJDC currently produces local newscasts from 6-7 p.m. and 11:05 p.m.-12:05 a.m. on weeknights. Unlike its sister station CFTK-TV in Terrace, CJDC is located in the Mountain Time Zone. Thus, its supper-hour newscast does not directly compete with the high-rated News Hour on Global BC and as such, it receives respectable ratings (according to BBM Canada). During daylight saving time, CJDC is also located in the Pacific Time Zone.
|Station||City of licence||Channel||ERP||HAAT||Transmitter Coordinates|
|CJDC-TV-1||Hudson's Hope||11 (VHF)||0.009 kW||NA|
|CJDC-TV-2||Bullhead Mountain||8 (VHF)||0.009 kW||NA|
CJDC-TV was previously repeated on CBC-owned rebroadcasters in Fort St. John, Pouce Coupe and Chetwynd. Due to budget cuts handed down on the CBC in April 2012, the CBC announced several austerity measures to keep the corporation solvent and in operation; this included the closure of the CBC and Radio-Canada's remaining analogue transmitters, including all CBC-owned transmitters rebroadcasting private stations on July 31, 2012.
- ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2002-91
- ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-359
- BREAKING NEWS -- Astral Enters Agreement to Be Acquired by Bell
- "CRTC kills BCE-Astral merger deal". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Supplementary Brief of BCE Inc. and Astral Media Inc.[dead link]
- BCE takeover of Astral OK’d by Competition Bureau, The Montreal Gazette (via The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- CBC/Radio-Canada Speech Transcript: "Speaking notes for Hubert T. Lacroix, President and CEO, CBC/Radio-Canada, regarding measures announced in the context of the Deficit Reduction Action Plan (DRAP)", April 4, 2012.
- Canadian Communications Foundation - CJDC-TV History
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CJDC-TV
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CBCD-TV
- Query TV Fool's coverage map for CJDC