|City of license||Kingston, Ontario|
|Slogan||Today's Best Country|
|Frequency||93.5 MHz (FM)|
|First air date||January 2008|
|Callsign meaning||C KiX Country (former branding)|
|Owner||Rogers Media, a division of Rogers Communications
The station was originally owned by K-Rock 105.7 Inc., consisting of John P. Wright (60%), Douglas Kirk (15%), and Rogers Broadcasting (25%). The same ownership group also owns CIKR-FM, and operates WLYK (102.7) in the nearby American community of Cape Vincent, New York through a local marketing agreement.
The station received CRTC approval on August 28, 2007 to operate a new english-language FM radio station at Kingston. However, the 93.5 FM frequency is an adjacent frequency to a nearby radio station WCIZ-FM in Watertown, New York across the St. Lawrence River broadcasting at 93.3 FM. The antenna configuration used by CKXC is directional to protect WCIZ. The 93.5 MHz frequency was formerly used by WCIZ up until the late 1990s.
K-Rock 105.7 launched Kix 93.5 in January 2008. In late November 2008, Rogers announced it would acquire the remainder of the ownership group, pending CRTC approval. Its application was approved by the CRTC on May 4, 2009.
Current on air line up include Big G and Mathews in the morning, Jacquie Beckett, Ryan Roberts, Wendy B, Jeff Code, Rick Choma and Lisa Ray also long time TNT TV hosts Crook and Chase host the station's top 40 country countdown.
In 2013,[when?] Rogers dropped the "Kix" branding and the station was rebranded as Country 93.5, as part of Rogers' rebranding of its country-formatted stations to a unified brand. Other than the branding change, no format or staff changes are expected.
- CRTC ownership charts
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2007-334, Conversions to FM band and licensing of a new radio station to serve Kingston, CRTC, August 28, 2007
- CRTC Decision 2009-249, CIKR-FM and CKXC-FM Kingston – Acquisition of assets, CRTC, May 4, 2009
- Radio Insight: "Rogers Launches Canadian Country Brand", July 3, 2013.
- Country 93.5
- Kix 93.5 old link redirects to country935.ca
- CKXC-FM history - Canadian Communications Foundation
- Query the REC's Canadian station database for CKXC-FM
|This article about a radio station in Ontario is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|