CM-32 Armoured Vehicle
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
CM-32 Armoured Vehicle (mobile-gun platform variant)
|Place of origin||Republic of China|
|Designer||Timoney Technology Limited|
|Manufacturer||Ordnance Readiness Development Center|
|Crew||2 + 8 passengers|
|Armor||12.7 mm AP front arc, 7.62 mm AP all around|
|20 mm gun,40 mm grenade launcher,105 mm gun or 120 mm mortar|
|M2. 50 Browning machine gun|
|Engine||Caterpillar C12 diesel, 450 hp|
The CM-32 "Clouded Leopard" (雲豹裝甲車 "Yunpao"), officially Taiwan Infantry Fighting Vehicle (TIFV), is an eight-wheeled armoured vehicle currently being produced for the Republic of China (Taiwan) Army, designed by Timoney Technology Limited of Ireland, but will be developed by the Ordnance Readiness Development Center.
Design and development
The project was launched in 2002, at a cost of NT$700 million (US$21.9 million).
Mass production started in 2007, with an initial order for 600 units. It is estimated that up to 1,400 CM-32s may end up being in operational service. The armor of the CM-32 provides protection of 7.62 mm AP rounds, while the frontal arc withstands 12.7 mm AP rounds. NBC protection and fire suppression systems are also standard. The V-shaped hull provides protection from landmines and can withstand 12 kg of TNT under any wheel. The CM-32 is armed with a 12.7 mm machine gun in its basic APC form. It can also house a 20 mm chaingun or a 120 mm mortar or a 105 mm cannon.
- Armoured Personnel Carrier/Armoured Fighting Vehicle
- Jane's Information Group article: "CM-32 enters pre-production phase in Taiwan". Retrieved on August 9, 2007.
- "Thumbs-up for new armored vehicle". Taipei Times. 2005-01-12. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- Taiwan To Begin Mass Producing Armoured Vehicles. Retrieved on August 9, 2007.
Media related to CM-32 Yunpao at Wikimedia Commons
- Jane's Information Group article: "CM-32 enters pre-production phase in Taiwan"
- Globalsecurity.org report on the CM32