|Traded as||NASDAQ: CME
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Security & commodity exchanges|
|Key people||Terrence A. Duffy
(Executive Chairman & President)
|Subsidiaries||The Kansas City Board of Trade, The Chicago Mercantile Exchange, The Chicago Board of Trade, The New York Mercantile Exchange, S&P Dow Jones Indices (24.4% ownership), COMEX|
CME Group Inc. (Chicago Mercantile Exchange) is one of the largest options and futures exchanges. It owns and operates large derivatives and futures exchanges in Chicago, and New York City, as well as online trading platforms. In 2014, it gained regulatory approval to open a derivatives exchange in London. It also owns the Dow Jones stock and financial indexes, and CME Clearing Services, which provides settlement and clearing of exchange trades. The exchange-traded derivative contracts include futures and options based on interest rates, equity indexes, foreign exchange, energy, agricultural commodities, rare and precious metals, weather, and real estate. It has been described by The Economist as "The biggest financial exchange you have never heard of".
The corporate world headquarters are in Chicago in The Loop. The corporation was formed by the 2007 merger of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) and the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT). On March 17, 2008, CME Group announced it had acquired NYMEX Holdings, Inc., the parent company of the New York Mercantile Exchange and Commodity Exchange, Inc (COMEX). The acquisition was formally completed on August 22, 2008. The four exchanges now operate as designated contract markets (DCM) of the CME Group.
On February 10, 2010, CME announced its purchase of 90% of Dow Jones Indexes, including the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Dow Jones Indexes subsequently became S&P Dow Jones Indices, in which CME has a 24.4% ownership interest.
On October 17, 2012, CME announced it was acquiring the Kansas City Board of Trade for $126 Million in cash. KCBOT is the dominant venue for the sale of hard red winter wheat. The Chicago Board of Trade is the leading trade platform for soft red winter wheat.
- CME Group Titleholders, the season-ending tournament of the LPGA Tour of women's golf, sponsored by CME Group
- "CME GROUP INC. 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. March 3, 2014.
- "CME GROUP INC. 2014 Q1 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. May 7, 2014.
- CME Group Volume Averaged 12.2 Million Contracts per Day in 2010, up 19 Percent; Double-Digit ADV Growth for Fourth Quarter and December - Jan 4, 2011. Cmegroup.mediaroom.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-21.
- CME Group: The futures of capitalism
- CME Group Inc. Completes Acquisition of NYMEX Holdings, Inc., Expands Its Diversified Product Offerings to Include Energy and Metals and Also Announces Preliminary Election Results, 2008-08-22
- Futures & Options Trading for Risk Management. CME Group (2013-03-27). Retrieved on 2013-07-21.
- Berman, Dennis K.; Mccracken, Jeffrey (February 11, 2010). "CME Buys 90% of Dow Jones Indexes". The Wall Street Journal.
- Leising, Matthew (Jul 2, 2012). "McGraw-Hill, CME Group Start S&P Dow Jones Indices Venture". Bloomberg. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- BM&FBOVESPA - Ownership Structure | BM&FBOVESPA - Investor Relations. Ir.bmfbovespa.com.br. Retrieved on 2013-07-21.
- [dead link]
- Dow Jones Indexes corporate site
- Dow Jones Stock Indexes averages research site
- Dow Jones Indexes video on indexing using Latin America as an example