|Traded as||NASDAQ: CME
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Security & commodity exchanges|
|Headquarters||Chicago, Illinois, The USA|
|Key people||Terrence A. Duffy
(Executive Chairman & President)
US$3 billion (2010),US$2.56 billion (2008)
US$1.83 billion (2010),US$1.58 billion (2008)
US$0.95 billion (2010),US$0.72 billion (2008)
US$38 billion (2010),US$48.13 billion (2008)
US$20 billion (2010),US$18.69 billion (2008)
|Subsidiaries||The Kansas City Board of Trade, The Chicago Mercantile Exchange, The Chicago Board of Trade, The New York Mercantile Exchange, The Dow Jones Indexes (90% ownership), COMEX|
CME Group Inc. (Chicago Mercantile Exchange) is the world's largest futures exchange company. It owns and operates large derivatives and futures exchanges in Chicago and New York City, as well as online trading platforms. It also owns the Dow Jones stock and financial indexes, and CME Clearing Services, which provides settlement and clearing of exchange trades. The exchange-traded derivative contracts include futures and options based on interest rates, equity indexes, foreign exchange, energy, agricultural commodities, rare and precious metals, weather, and real estate. It has been described by The Economist as "The biggest financial exchange you have never heard of".
The corporate world headquarters are in Chicago in the Loop. The corporation was formed by the 2007 merger of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) and the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT). On March 17, 2008, CME Group announced it had acquired NYMEX Holdings, Inc., the parent company of the New York Mercantile Exchange and Commodity Exchange, Inc (COMEX). The acquisition was formally completed on August 22, 2008. The four exchanges now operate as designated contract markets (DCM) of the CME Group.
On October 17, 2012, CME announced it was acquiring the Kansas City Board of Trade for $126 Million in cash. KCBOT is the dominant venue for the sell of hard red winter wheat. The Chicago Board of Trade is the leading producer of soft red winter wheat.
See also 
- CME Group Titleholders, the season-ending tournament of the LPGA Tour of women's golf, sponsored by CME Group
- http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21577387-biggest-financial-exchange-you-have-never-heard-futures-capitalism CME Group: The futures of capitalism
- CME Group Inc. Completes Acquisition of NYMEX Holdings, Inc., Expands Its Diversified Product Offerings to Include Energy and Metals and Also Announces Preliminary Election Results, 2008-08-22
- Berman, Dennis K.; Mccracken, Jeffrey (February 11, 2010). "CME Buys 90% of Dow Jones Indexes". The Wall Street Journal.
- Dow Jones Indexes corporate site
- Dow Jones Stock Indexes averages research site
- Dow Jones Indexes video on indexing using Latin America as an example