Logo of CNN-IBN
|Launched||16 December 2005|
|Owned by||TV18 (Network 18) and Turner International India|
|Picture format||4:3 (576i, SDTV)
|Slogan||"Whatever it takes"
"This is CNN-IBN"
|Headquarters||Noida, Gautam Buddh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh|
CNN - Indian Broadcasting Network (CNN - IBN) is an English-language news and current affairs television channel based in Noida, Gautam Buddh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh. It is jointly owned by TV18 Broadcast Limited (Network18) and Turner International India (Time Warner Inc.)
CNN provides international coverage for the channel, while Indian Broadcasting Network concentrates on Indian and local reports. The channel, like most of the other Indian English news-channels, is known for using a type of Indian English influenced by Hindi.
In May 2014, Reliance Industries Limited announced it would be taking over Network18. The move is touted as "the biggest-ever deal in the Indian media space". Reliance Industries already has indirect control in the TV18 network by virtue of investments it made in Network18 (starting from January 2012).
Like elsewhere in the world, CNN International only reached the urban elites in India. In order to reach the Indian masses Time Warner together with an Indian company- Global Broadcast News (currently TV18 Broadcast Limited)- launched the India-specific CNN-IBN on 16 December 2005. CNN-IBN is completely run by TV18 Broadcast Limited, which only uses the Cable News Network (CNN) brand name.
Currently, Time Warner's India-specific CNN-IBN is watched by more people than its CNN International, although both channels are in English.
According to Network 18, since its inception, the channel has been reaching out to an average of 45 million households every day.
- Breakfast with India: a morning rolling news summary
- IBN News: a general news bulletin with live news updates
- IBN Sports: discusses and analyzes sports stories, results and performances, in India and abroad, hosted by Sanjeeb Mukherjea and Meha Bhardwaj
- Good Afternoon India: a mid-day news review
- Devil’s Advocate: news analysis hosted by journalist Karan Thapar, with some of the thinkers and newsmakers of the week. The show has received NT Awards and Asian Television Awards.
- News 360: a news bulletin covering top stories, including national, regional, international, business, sports and entertainment news
- India at 9: primetime news show, with stories from politics, sports, business, and entertainment from India and abroad, with analysis by Rajdeep Sardesai, Editor-in-Chief, IBN Network.
- Face the People: an interactive show hosted by Sagarika Ghose, where she puts a current issue to test with a panel of subject experts and gets public opinion.
- Late Night Edition: news bulletin that wraps up the important news of the day, with analyses of their possible impact
- World View with Suhasini Haidar: hosted by Deputy Foreign Affairs Editor, Suhasini Haidar, a weekly analysis of top international stories, with a view on how India is affected by them, with analysis by foreign policy thinkers for debate on topical issues.
- The Citizen Journalist Show: a show promoting the involvement of ordinary citizens who are directly impacted by the issues on the ground in the entire news gathering process
- The Week That Wasn’t: a 30 minute spoof on the major news events of the week. The show looks at the major stories of the week with a satirical tone. The host is Cyrus Broacha.
- Now Showing: Bollywood news and gossip about Bollywood films, hosted by Entertainment Editor Rajeev Masand
- Living It Up: a series on health and wellness, with lifestyle information, including stories on preventive measures, healthy lifestyle and healthy food
- India Positive: hosted by Karma Paljor, the series showcases positive stories and acts in India
Commonwealth Games Contract
On August 5, 2011 Comptroller and Auditor General of India's report on XIX Commonwealth Games was tabled in Parliament of India. In section 14.4.2 of the report, CAG alleged that while awarding contracts worth Rs 3.78 crore for production & broadcasting of commercials for promoting CWG-2010 to CNN-IBN & NDTV, the Commonwealth Games Organizing Committee followed an arbitrary approach. Proposals were considered in an ad hoc manner, as and when a proposal was received; no form of competitive tendering was adopted. The CAG further said in its report that, "We had no assurance about the competitiveness of the rates quoted by these channels and the need and usefulness of these proposals. From March 2010 to June 2010, the entire pre games publicity and sponsorship publicity was done only on NDTV & CNN-IBN."
Fake Twitter comments
A controversy about some fake Twitter comments that ran on the screen during a news show raised questions about the reliability of instant feedback from viewers. The officials later apologized saying that the source of viewer comment was wrongly stated as Twitter.
Fake Live debate
On November 2012, on its prime time show Face The Nation, the channel broadcast a pre-recorded and edited interview of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar as a live television debate. The show was hosted by the deputy editor of the channel, Sagarika Ghose, the wife of the channel's editor, Rajdeep Sardesai. On public outcry, the anchor issued a public apology on Twitter, web and TV. The episode has not been hosted on the show's homepage.
In August 2013, TV18 fired nearly 400 people from their various offices including CNN-IBN as a part of restructuring.The company however declined to further comment on the issue.
In 2012, CNN-IBN won three awards at the Ramnath Goenka Awards: Anubha Bhonsle – Best Political Reporter, Preeti Singh – Best on the spot Reporter and Arijit Sen – Best reporter from North East.
- 24-hour television news channels
- Global Broadcast News
- Television in India
- Time Warner
- Turner Broadcasting System
- Network18 Website on CNN-IBN
- Philip Seib. The Al Jazeera Effect: How the New Global Media Are Reshaping World Politics Potomac Books, Inc., 2008.
- Ulrike Rohn. Cultural Barriers to the Success of Foreign Media Content: Western Media in China, India, and Japan Peter Lang, 2009 p. 278-279
- AMIT BARUAH and LALATENDU MISHRA. Reliance to take over Network 18. May 30, 2014 
- Urvi Malvania, Mumbai August 17, 2013 Layoffs at TV18 group Business Standard 
- Betwa Sharma 12 June 2014 Corporate takeover raises Indian media fears Al-Jazeera 
- Ulrike Rohn. Cultural Barriers to the Success of Foreign Media Content: Western Media in China, India, and Japan Peter Lang, 2009 p. 278-279, 293
- CNN-IBN reaches out to 45 million households every day
- 10 on 10 for CNN-IBN
- CNN-IBN retains position among top 10 English News Genre
- CNN-IBN Shows
- CNN-IBN & IBN7 gear up for ICC Champions Trophy 2013
- Couch Talk Episode 43 with Gaurav Kalra, CNN IBN Sports Editor
- Good Afternoon India
- CNN IBN Devils Advocate Dalai Lama on China, retirement
- When the Devil’s Advocate has the Last Word
- All the news no views
- CNN-IBN rejigs primetime programming
- CNN–IBN presents the ‘The Last Word’ with Karan Thapar
- Last Word with Karan Thapar
- CNN-IBN India’s Best News Channel is also Asia’s Best
- India at 9
- Face the people
- I don't want to see Modi as the PM in 2014: Amartya Sen
- Late Night Edition
- World View with Suhasini Haidar
- More about Suhasini Haidar
- The CNN-IBN citizen journalist show - Be the change!
- Interview: Cyrus Broacha On The Week That Wasn’t
- The Week that Wasn't
- 'Living it Up' returns on CNN-IBN
- Live It Up again with CNN-IBN
- India Positive
- "CAG Report on XIX Commonwealth Games". Comptroller & Auditor General of India (Pdf).
- "CAG blames top media houses in Commonwealth Games Scam". News of Delhi.
- "Games contracts to media houses arbitrary and biased: CAG". India Today.
- Priscilla Jebaraj (2010-12-19). "Thehindu.com". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Face The Nation: A clarification and an apology". November 10, 2011. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "CNN-IBN 'small' apology to Sri Sri". November 11, 2011. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "Face the Nation Shows Videos-Watch Most viewed videos of Face the Nation : IBNLive". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- Layoffs at TV18 group | Business Standard
- "Ramnath Goenka Awards: The Storytellers". The Indian Express. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "CNN-IBN wins 3 awards at the Ramnath Goenka Awards 2012". Best Media Info. January 18, 2012. Retrieved 2014-08-25.