CNW Marketing Research
|Headquarters||Bandon, Oregon, United States|
|Key people||Stephanie Yanez, Art Spinella|
|Services||Consulting, lease portfolio analysis, executive sessions|
CNW Marketing Research, Inc. (CNWMR), known primarily as an automotive marketing research company, is a private company founded in 1984. It operates separate research offices covering the automotive, computer, electronics, housing, and personal investment industries, as well as a research office covering political issues. CNW is a reclusive firm and has been the subject of some controversy (see below) and has subscribers in nine countries and include government agencies, Wall Street brokerage houses and financial institutions. Major clients include Gannett Newspapers, Time Inc., Meredith Publishing (Better Homes et al.) as well as a long list of corporate clients.
The CNW stands for Coastal Northwest, a consumer magazine founded by Stephanie Yanez Spinella and husband Art Spinella, which was published for only one test issue. Beginning as Coastal Northwest Publishing Company in 1983, according to Art Spinella, it became CNW Marketing/Research in 1984. The slash was dropped with the advent of the internet, making its name CNW Marketing Research, Inc. As of 2011, the company name has changed to CNW Research LLC to reflect a change in business operations.
CNWMR performs research into consumer motivations and decisions in automotive purchases, and reports a variety of data related to market forecasting. The company's website states that its research and data publications are provided to more than 10,000 subscribers in print and on-line formats, with annual subscription prices list as beginning at $400. It publishes a monthly Retail Automotive Summary periodical, Home and Shelter Update newsletters, Purchase Path studies, sales forecasting and other industry analyses. Current leasing and other trends are tracked regularly through data gleaned from insurance companies, providing a unique data view used by the automotive industry, industry analysts and government agencies.
Art Spinella was named automotive division president or company president in 2001, 2002, or 2003, according to various accounts, after serving as vice president and general manager since 1992. Often misattributed as the president in articles from 1992 through 2000, he was described as an auto leasing newsletter editor and director of automotive research at the company prior to 1992.
CNWMR's publication "From Dust to Dust" states that for the 2005 model year a Hummer H2 or H3 (but not the H1) is more efficient in terms of cost per lifetime mile than a Prius. While a Prius is one-third the weight of a Hummer and gets between four and six times better fuel economy, CNWMR argued the Hummer vehicles are built using less costly technology and are driven more over their lifetime. CNWMR calculates most expenses occur during construction and disposal, not during operation. Additionally, their efficiencies are based on Prii lasting fifteen years during which their owners drive only an average of 109,000 mi (175,000 km) whilst CNWMR expects Hummers to be driven more than 300,000 mi (480,000 km) over their lifespan. Arguments against the claim[who?] call the methods of analysis that produced these figures questionable.[why?] CNWMR responded to many of these questions with more details[clarification needed] about their methods.
CNWMR has since added data for 2007-2008 model year cars in the June 2008 release of their "From Dust to Dust" study and the Prius cost per lifetime mile fell 23.5% to $2.191 per lifetime mile while the H3 cost rose 12.5% to $2.327 per lifetime mile. The Prius and smaller hybrids in general now cost less per mile than any large SUV, but still more than most normal 'economy' cars according to their own data.
- Frequent Questions (Company website). CNWMR. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Associated Press. From Deep in the Woods, He Tracks Autos: Oregon Man Follows the Money Trail by Computer The Wichita Eagle, via nl.newsbank.com, 1995-03-05. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- About Us (Company website). CNW Marketing Research, Inc. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Products (Company website). CNW Marketing Research, Inc. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Roberts, Ted. Interview with Art Spinella, President, CNW Marketing Research. Automotive Digest, via automotivedigest.com, 2007-04-19. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Automotive News World Congress: Speakers. (Commercial website). Automotive News. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Hudson, Thomas B. "Consumer leasing and personal property financing developments: early termination provisions in automobile leasing contracts". Business Lawyer, via highbeam.com, 1993-05-01. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Brown, Warren and Leslie Walker "3 Big Carmakers to Create Net Site for Buying Parts". The Washington Post, via highbeam.com, 2000-02-26. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Knight-Ridder. "U.S.-Built Cars Score High in New Survey" The Buffalo News, via nl.newsbank.com, 1995-03-07. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Bryant, Adam. "Chrysler Takes Steps To Lift Sales". The New York Times, via TimesSelect select.nytimes.com (subscription required), 1991-08-30. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Bryant, Adam. "Oldsmobile Cutting Rate On Leases". The New York Times, via TimesSelect select.nytimes.com (subscription required), 1991-12-06. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Simon, Ruth and Zachery Kouwe. "Why a Rate Cut Might Hurt You". The Wall Street Journal, via wsj.com, 2003-06-23. Retrieved on 2007-08-12.
- Spinella, Art (2007-03-27). "Dust to Dust: The Energy Cost of New Vehicles From Concept to Disposal, The Non-Technical Report" (in English). CNW Market Research, Inc. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "Automotive Energy". Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Spinella, Art (2007-08-20). "Why 100,000 Miles for Prius?" (in English). CNW Market Research, Inc. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- "The Hummer vs. the Prius", San Francisco Chronicle, June 4, 2007
- Brendan I. Koerner, "Tank vs. Hybrid: IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A HUMMER'S BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT THAN A PRIUS IS?", Slate magazine, March 18, 2008
- Cecil Adams, "Are electric cars really more energy efficient?",The Straight Dope, April 4, 2008
- Spinella, Art (2007-08-20). "Response to Pacific Institute “Hummer versus Prius” May 2007" (in English). CNW Research. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Spinella, Art (2008-03-19). "Response to Slate's Green Lantern column by Brendan I. Koerner" (in English). CNW Market Research, Inc. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- Spinella, Art (2008-03-20). "Response to comment's on Slate" (in English). CNW Market Research, Inc. Retrieved 2009-04-07.