Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
|Cabela's Dangerous Hunts|
|Developer(s)||FUN Labs (PC, Xbox)
Sand Grain Studios (PS2)
|Genre(s)||Hunting, Action, Simulation|
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts is a video game released 2003 and published by Cabela's (a popular hunting, fishing, and outdoor equipment retailer) and Activision for the PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox game consoles.The game had plans for the GameCube, but was cancelled due to low ratings.
Dangerous Hunts is a first-person shooter in which the player goes on hunting trips. The game features "Quick Hunt", which lets players jump right into the action by choosing equipment, a hunting tag and hunting the required animal. In "Action Zone", you start off in a small portion of a map and a certain amount of a dangerous animal will appear. Once the animals are hunted by the player, a portal opens to the next round. "Career Mode", allows players to create a profile and then customize their stats, age, and appearance. In all three modes there are penalties for non-game animals, which will result in failing. Terrain is another thing the player must pay attention to. Falling into deep streams or off of high ledges can result in an injury and failing the hunt. Aggressive animals such as bear, cape buffalo, and leopard will attack you, which too results in injury and failure. The player also has an energy limit. After a while of hunting, the player will become tired and need to slow down. This effect can be reduced by carrying lighter equipment and conserving energy.
There are twelve exotic locations which feature twenty-six animals, both exotic and average. Game like white rhinoceros, zebra, and hyena are more challenging than your common deer, elk, and wolf. There are also a variety of weapons to choose from: eleven types of rifles, three types of handguns, two types of bows, one type of crossbow and three large hunting knives for protection. The player can also use different items to aid in the hunt. Items like scent removers and different animal calls will help attract the animals, while ground blinds and trees stands will help camouflage the player. Also, the time of year affects the weight and actions of the animals.
You start by doing multiple challenges throughout the seasons until you beat all 47 challenges.
- Spring Season
- This season starts in Parkland, Alberta, where you have to kill a wolf before dark.
- Summer Season
- You start the summer season in Kodiak, Alaska, where you have to kill a Kodiak brown bear from within 50 yards. The second challenge is in Sierra Nevada, California, where you must take one white-tailed deer.
- Autumn Season
- You start by hunting a moose in Kelowna, British Columbia.
- Winter Season
- The winter season starts in Glenwood, Colorado, where you must take a Mule deer and a White-tailed deer before nightfall.
- Cape Buffalo (Zimbabwe)
- Impala (Zimbabwe)
- White Rhinoceros (Zimbabwe)
- African Leopard (Zimbabwe & Tanzania,)
- Greater Kudu (Zimbabwe & Tanzania)
- Duiker (Tanzania)
- Mountain goat (Alaska, British Columbia & Idaho)
- Coyote (Colorado, New Mexico & Wisconsin)
- Dall Sheep (Alaska & British Columbia)
- Moose (Alaska, British Columbia & Quebec)
- Pronghorn (Idaho, New Mexico & North California)
- Gemsbok (Tanzania)
- Grizzly Bear (Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, NW Territories)
- Spotted Hyena (Tanzania)
- Caribou (NW Territories & Quebec)
- Kodiak Bear (Alaska)
- Mule deer (Colorado)
- Cougar (Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico & Quebec)
- Elk (Idaho, New Mexico & North California)
- Polar bear (NW Territories)
- Black bear (Alberta, Idaho, North California, Quebec & Wisconsin)
- Grant's Zebra (Zimbabwe)
- Wolf (Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, NW Territories & Quebec)
- Wild boar (New Mexico & North California)
- White-tailed deer (Alberta, Colorado, North California & Wisconsin)
- Bighorn Sheep (Alberta, New Mexico & NW Territories)
This game received mixed reviews from critics, 6.8/10 by IGN, and a 6.1/10 by the press. The game was said to have "passable" gameplay and a very neat feel to it. This game is featured in the PlayStation 2's Greatest Hits series. The game also spawned a sequel, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2, which was released in 2005 for PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC and GameCube.
On October 19, 2010, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011 was released for the Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation 3.