Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
|Cabela's Dangerous Hunts|
|Developer(s)||FUN Labs (PC, Xbox)
Sand Grain Studios (PS2)
|Genre(s)||Hunting, Action, Simulation|
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts is a video game released in 2003 and published by Cabela's (a popular hunting, fishing, and outdoor equipment retailer) and Activision for the PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox game consoles.The game had plans for the GameCube, but was cancelled due to low ratings.
Dangerous Hunts is a first-person shooter in which the player goes on hunting trips. The game features "Quick Hunt", which lets players jump right into the action by choosing equipment, a hunting tag and hunting the required animal. In "Action Zone", you start off in a small portion of a map and a certain amount of a dangerous animal will appear. Once the animals are hunted by the player, a portal opens to the next round. "Career Mode", allows players to create a profile and then customize their stats, age, and appearance. In all three modes there are penalties for non-game animals, which will result in failing. Terrain is another thing the player must pay attention to. Falling into deep streams or off of high ledges can result in an injury and failing the hunt. Aggressive animals such as bear, cape buffalo, and leopard will attack you, which too results in injury and failure. The player also has an energy limit. After a while of hunting, the player will become tired and need to slow down. This effect can be reduced by carrying lighter equipment and conserving energy.
There are twelve exotic locations which feature twenty-six animals, both exotic and average. Game like white rhinoceros, zebra, and hyena are more challenging than your common deer, elk, and wolf. There are also a variety of weapons to choose from: eleven types of rifles, three types of handguns, two types of bows, one type of crossbow and three large hunting knives for protection. The player can also use different items to aid in the hunt. Items like scent removers and different animal calls will help attract the animals, while ground blinds and trees stands will help camouflage the player. Also, the time of year affects the weight and actions of the animals.
You start by doing multiple challenges throughout the seasons until you beat all 47 challenges.
- Spring Season
- This season starts in Parkland, Alberta, where you have to kill a wolf before dark.
- Summer Season
- You start the summer season in Kodiak, Alaska, where you have to kill a Kodiak brown bear from within 50 yards. The second challenge is in Sierra Nevada, California, where you must take one white-tailed deer.
- Autumn Season
- You start by hunting a moose in Kelowna, British Columbia.
- Winter Season
- The winter season starts in Glenwood, Colorado, where you must take a Mule deer and a White-tailed deer before nightfall.
|African Leopard||Zimbabwe & Tanzania||Yes|
|Greater Kudu||Zimbabwe & Tanzania||No|
|Mountain goat||Alaska, British Columbia & Idaho||No|
|Coyote||Colorado, New Mexico & Wisconsin||Yes|
|Dall Sheep||Alaska & British Columbia||No|
|Moose||Alaska, British Columbia & Quebec||Yes|
|Pronghorn||Idaho, New Mexico & North California||Yes|
|Grizzly Bear||Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, NW Territories||Yes|
|Caribou||NW Territories & Quebec||No|
|Cougar||Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, North California, & Quebec||Yes|
|Elk||Idaho, New Mexico & North California||No|
|Polar bear||NW Territories||Yes|
|Black bear||Alberta, Idaho, North California, Quebec & Wisconsin||Yes|
|Gray Wolf||Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, NW Territories & Quebec||Yes|
|Wild boar||New Mexico & North California||Yes|
|White-tailed deer||Alberta, Colorado, North California & Wisconsin||No|
|Bighorn Sheep||Alberta, New Mexico & NW Territories||Yes|
This game received mixed reviews from critics, 6.8/10 by IGN, and a 6.1/10 by the press. The game was said to have "passable" gameplay and a very neat feel to it. This game is featured in the PlayStation 2's Greatest Hits series. The game also spawned a sequel, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2, which was released in 2005 for PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC and GameCube.
On October 19, 2010, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011 was released for the Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, and PlayStation 3.
- Although the Grizzly bear is hunted in Alberta in the game, it is not hunted in Alberta in real life, because it was a threatened species in 2010. It is now off the Endangered Species List and now Least Concern. Alaska, British Columbia, and Montana are three states in the Northwest that have Grizzly bear hunting seasons.
- This is the first and only game where Gemsbok, Pronghorn, Grant's Zebra, and Bighorn sheep will attack.
- Colorado would have also had elk, moose, mountain goat, black bear, pronghorn, and bighorn sheep cause this is where the animals are found.
- The cover of the game is also featured on the PSP cover of the 2006 game Cabela's Dangerous Hunts: Ultimate Challenge.
- Some of the animals in the game appeared in other Cabela's games for the PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and Wii U.
- This is the only Dangerous Hunts game without a Story Mode.