Cabinet of Namibia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Cabinet of Namibia is an appointed body that was established by the Chapter 6 (Articles 35-42) of the Constitution of Namibia. It is mandated to include the following positions: the President of Namibia, the Prime Minister of Namibia and any positions that the President so appoints.
All cabinet members also sit in the National Assembly. This situation has been criticised by Namibia's civil society and the opposition as creating a significant overlap between executive and legislature, undermining the separation of powers. The seniority of cabinet members generally relegate ordinary MPs to the back benches.
Lists of Cabinets of Namibia
Current Cabinet (2010-)
- Prime Minister of Namibia: Nahas Angula (2010-2012), Hage Geingob (2012-)
- Deputy Prime Minister: Marco Hausiku
- Minister of Trade and Industry: Hage Geingob (2010-2012), Calle Schlettwein (2012-)
- Deputy: Tjekero Tweya
- Minister of Justice: Pendukeni Iivula-Ithana (2010-2012), Utoni Nujoma (2012-)
- Deputy: Tommy Nambahu
- Minister of Safety and Security: Nangolo Mbumba (2010-2012), Immanuel Ngatjizeko(2012-)
- Deputy: Erastus Uutoni
- Minister of Presidential Affairs and Attorney General: Albert Kawana
- Deputy: none
- Minister of Defence: Charles Namoloh (2010-2012), Nahas Angula (2012-)
- Minister of Home Affairs and Immigration: Rosalia Nghidinwa (2010-2012), Pendukeni Iivula-Ithana (2012-)
- Deputy: Elia Kaiyamo
- Minister of Finance: Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila
- Deputy: Calle Schlettwein (2010-2012), vacant as from 4 December 2012
- Minister of Regional and Local Government, Housing and Rural Development: Jerry Ekandjo (2010-2012), Charles Namoloh (2012-)
- Deputy: Priscilla Beukes
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Utoni Nujoma (2010-2012), Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah (2012-)
- Deputy: Peya Mushelenga
- Minister of Education : Abraham Iyambo (until 2 February 2013), David Namwandi (from 21 February 2013)
- Minister of Lands and Resettlement: Alpheus ǃNaruseb
- Minister of Works and Transport: Erkki Nghimtina
- Minister of Agriculture, Water and Forestry: John Mutorwa
- Minister of Environment and Tourism: Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah (2010-2012), Uahekua Herunga (2012-)
- Minister of Labour and Social Welfare: Immanuel Ngatjizeko (2010-2012), Doreen Sioka (2012-)
- Deputy: Alpheus Muheua
- Minister of Gender Equality and Child Welfare: Doreen Sioka (2010-2012), Rosalia Nghidinwa (2012-)
- Deputy: Angelika Muharukua
- Minister of Fisheries and Marine Resources: Bernard Esau
- Deputy: Chief Kilus Nguvauva (2010-2012), Chief Samuel Ankama (2012-)
- Minister of Youth, National Service, Sport and Culture: Kazenambo Kazenambo (2010-2012), Jerry Ekandjo (2012-)
- Minister of Foreign Affairs--Marco Hausiku
- Minister of Defense--Major General Charles Ndaxu Namoloh
- Minister of Veterans Affairs-- Ngarikutuke Tjiriange
- National Planning Commission Director--Peter Katjavivi
- Namibia Central Intelligence Service Director--Lukas Hangula
- Minister of Education--Nangolo Mbumba
- Deputy Minister of Education--Rebecca Ndjoze-Ojo
- Minister of Finance--Saara Kuugongelwa
- Minister of Safety and Security--Nickey Iyambo
- Minister of Trade and Industry--Immanuel Ngatjizeko (2005-2008), Hage Geingob (2008-2010)
- Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry-- Bernhardt Esau
- Minister of Home Affairs and Immigration--Rosalia Nghidinwa
- Minister of Information and Broadcasting--Joel Kaapanda
- Minister of Justice--Pendukeni Iivula-Ithana
- Minister of Mines and Energy--Erkki Nghimtina
- Minister of Labour and Social Welfare--Immanuel Ngatjizeko
- Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Welfare-- Petrus Iilonga
- Minister of Health and Social Service--Richard Kamwi
- Minister of Agriculture, Water, and Forestry--John Mutorwa
- Minister of Fisheries and Marine Resources--Abraham Iyambo
- Minister of Environment and Tourism--Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah
- Minister of Lands and Resettlement--Alpheus Naruseb
- Minister of Local and Regional Government, Housing and Rural Development--Jerry Ekandjo
- Minister of Works, Transport and Communication--Helmut Angula
- Minister of Gender Equality and Child Welfare--Marlene Mungunda
- Minister of Youth, National Service, Sport, and Culture--Willem Konjore
- Minister of Presidential Affairs: Albert Kawana
- The Constitution of the Republic of Namibia
- Sasman, Catherine (22 March 2013). "Mbumba’s presence in Cabinet under spotlight". The Namibian.
- Shipanga, Selma; Immanuel, Shinovene (5 December 2012). "Transition team picked". The Namibian.
- Duddy, Jo-Mare (8 April 2013). "Karuaihe-Martin tipped for top finance job". The Namibian.
- Immanuel, Shinovene (22 February 2013). "Pohamba confirms Namwandi". The Namibian.
- Pohamba appoints 2 deputy ministers The Namibian, 21 January 2011
- Namibia’s new Cabinet announced 22 March 2010; The Namibian
- Hopwood 2007, Entry for Immanuel Ngatjizeko.
- Kuvee Kangueehi, "Cabinet Shake Up", New Era (allAfrica.com), April 9, 2008.
- Hopwood 2007, Entry for Raphael Dinyando.
- Hopwood 2007, Entry for Kazenambo Kazenambo.
- "Stefanus Mogotsi nimmt Kapias Stelle ein" [Stefanus Mogotsi takes Kapia's position]. Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). 24 October 2005.
- Hopwood 2007, Entry for Angelika Muharukua.
- Background Note: Namibia United States Department of State, update July 2008
- Hopwood 2007, Entry for Pohamba Shifeta.
- Hopwood, Graham (2007). Guide to Namibian Politics. Windhoek: Konrad Adenauer Foundation. ISBN 99916-797-5-8.