Cabo de Hornos, Chile
|Cabo de Hornos|
Puerto Williams, seat of the commune of Cabo de Hornos
|Region||Magallanes and Antartica Chilena Region|
|Foundation||December 30, 1927|
|• Alcalde||Hugo Henriquez Matus (PRSD)|
|• Total||15,853.7 km2 (6,121.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|Population (2012 Census)|
|• Density||0.11/km2 (0.27/sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||56 + 61|
|Website||Official website (Spanish)|
Cabo de Hornos is a Chilean commune located in the south of Tierra del Fuego archipelago, in Antártica Province, Magallanes Region. The municipality of Cabo de Hornos, located in the town of Puerto Williams, also administers the Antártica commune. It is named for Cape Horn.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Cabo de Hornos spans an area of 15,853.7 km2 (6,121 sq mi) and has 2,262 inhabitants (1,403 men and 859 women). Of these, 1,952 (86.3%) lived in urban areas and 310 (13.7%) in rural areas. The population grew by 24.7% (448 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Cabo de Hornos is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Hugo Henriquez Matus (PRSD).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Cabo de Hornos is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Carolina Goic (PDC) and Miodrag Marinovic (Ind.) as part of the 60th electoral district, which includes the entire Magallanes and Antartica Chilena Region. The commune is represented in the Senate by Carlos Bianchi Chelech (Ind.) and Pedro Muñoz Aburto (PS) as part of the 19th senatorial constituency (Magallanes Region).
- (Spanish) "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- (Spanish) "Municipality of Cabo de Hornos". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Territorial division of Chile" (PDF). Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- (Spanish) "National Statistics Institute". Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- (Spanish) Official website of the Municipality of Cabo de Hornos
- Official website of Puerto Williams
- Gobierno Regional Magallanes y Antártica Chilena Official website (in Spanish)
- Cape Horn Biosphere Reserve