||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Spanish Wikipedia. (December 2009)|
Temporal range: 115–0Ma (likely) Mid-Cretaceous–Present
Rich. ex A.Rich.
Cabombaceae is a family of aquatic, herbaceous flowering plants. The family is recognised as distinct in the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group III system (2009). The family consists of two genera of aquatic plants, Brasenia and Cabomba, totalling half-a-dozen species. The APG system of 1998 included this family in the water lily family Nymphaeaceae, as did the APG II system, of 2003 (optionally). The family is part of the order Nymphaeales, which is one of the most basal flowering plant lineages.
Members of the Cabombaceae are all aquatic, living in still or slow moving waters of temperate and tropical North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Although found on all continents, the plants tend to go in relatively restricted ranges.
The family has an extensive fossil record from the Cretaceous with plants that exhibit affinities to either Cabombaceae or Nymphaceae occurring in the Early Cretaceous. One such likely Cretaceous member is the genus Pluricarpellatia, found in rocks 115 million years old in what is now Brazil.
The APG system of 1998 included this family in the water lily family Nymphaeaceae, as did the APG II system, of 2003 (optionally). The family is part of the order Nymphaeales, which is one of the most basal flowering plant lineages.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009), "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III", Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161 (2): 105–121, doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x, retrieved 2010-12-10
- Stevens, Peter F.. "Cabombaceae". APWeb. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Watson, L.; Dallwitz, M. J. "The families of flowering plants, Cabombaceae". Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Brgaard, Marian. "The genus Cabomba (Cabombaceae) - a taxonomic study". Nordic Journal of Botany 11 (2).
- Friis, Else Marie; Crane, Peter R.; Pederses, Kaj Raunsgaard (2011). Early Flowers and Angiosperm Evolution. Cambridge University Press. 9781139123921,.
- Simpson, M.G. Plant Systematics. Elsevier Academic Press. 2006.
- Cabombaceae in L. Watson and M.J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards). The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, information retrieval. Version: 3 May 2006. http://delta-intkey.com
- Cabombaceae in the Flora of North America
- Cabombaceae in the Flora of China
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser
- Data related to Cabombaceae at Wikispecies