Map of Biliran showing the location of Cabucgayan
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|Founded||September 29, 1949|
|• Mayor||Gemma G. Adobo|
|• Total||54.19 km2 (20.92 sq mi)|
|• Density||360/km2 (940/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||5th class|
Cabucgayan derived its name from the snail called "bukgay." In the Waray-Waray language, to make a singular noun into a plural noun, the article "ka" is added before the word and the article "an" after the word. Kabukgayan, therefore, means a place where there are many snails.
This municipality was created on September 29, 1949 when Pres. Elpidio Quirino issued Executive Order no. 271.
It is located in the southeastern part of Biliran Island, and is approximately 19 kilometres (12 mi) south from Caibiran, 33 kilometres (21 mi) away from Naval, the capital town of the province, and 118 kilometres (73 mi) away from Tacloban City, the capital of the Province of Leyte. It is bound on the north by the Municipality of Caibiran, on the east by Villareal Bay, on the south by Carigara bay, and the west by the Municipality of Biliran
It belongs to the two types of climate, Type II and Type IV. It is characterized by pronounced rainfall periodically accompanied by trade winds and storms during the months of January, June, July, November and December while the minimum monthly rainfall occurs in February, March, April and May.
The total land area dedicated to agriculture is 2,905 hectares (7,180 acres) or 59.63% of the total land area. The three major forest products are timber, rattan and wild abaca.
- Esperanza (Pob.)
- Libertad (Pob.)
- Magbangon (Pob.)
|Population census of Cabucgayan|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Province: Biliran". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Province of Leyte". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- More photos and information on Caibiran, Biliran
|Leyte, Leyte||Carigara Bay|