Cadence Vol. 29 No. 4, cover dated April 2003
|Coordinating Editor||David Haney|
|Former editors||Bob Rusch|
|Categories||Jazz & blues magazine|
|Company||Cadence Magazine, LLC|
|Based in||Richland, Oregon|
Cadence Magazine is a quarterly review of jazz, blues and improvised music. The magazine covers a range of styles, from early jazz and blues to the avant-garde. Critic and historian Bob Rusch founded the magazine in 1976, and served as publisher and coordinating editor through 2011. Musician David Haney became editor and publisher in 2012.
Cadence began publication in 1976. The magazine's original parent company, Cadnor, Ltd. (based in Redwood, New York), also owns a pair of jazz record labels (CIMP and Cadence Jazz), a record distributorship (Cadence/North Country), and an audio equipment retailer (Northcountry Audio). The magazine was published on a monthly basis until October 2007, when it switched to a quarterly schedule with an increase in page numbers.
In January 2011, Bob Rusch announced that Cadence would cease publication with the October-December 2011 issue, while other endeavors, such as C.I.M.P., Cadence Jazz, and North Country, would continue. However, in August, the Cadence email newsletter announced that the magazine would continue, under new leadership, after 2011 (all other Cadence and North Country businesses would remain under the current management). In October, Cadence announced that David Haney, a jazz musician and Cadence contributor based in Richland, Oregon, would become publisher. In January 2012, the format changed to that of an online magazine (in Portable Document Format (PDF)), with an annual print edition.
The All Music Guide to Jazz has described Cadence as "the premier magazine about improvised music in the world.… Cadence's oral history/interview/profiles each month are thorough and no-holds-barred.… The magazine is not to be missed."
- "About Cadence Magazine". The Cadence Building Web. Retrieved 2007-02-14.
- Rusch, Bob (January 2011). "Cadence & You". Cadence Magazine (Redwood, NY: Cadnor Ltd.) 37 (1-2-3): 2. ISSN 0162-6973.
- "News 08/03/2011". News from Cadence/NorthCountryAudio mailing list. 2011-08-10. "Watch this space and the October-November-December 2011 issue for more news and details."
- "News 10/12/2011". News from Cadence/NorthCountryAudio mailing list. 2011-10-12. "The content will remain the same, including columns and reviews from many of the existing Cadence writers. The format will change to include an online site hosting Cadence Magazine plus an annual print edition."
- Haney, David (January 2012). "Cadence Magazine Editorial Policy". Cadence Magazine (Richland, OR: Cadence Magazine, LLC) 38 (1 (399)): 8. ISSN 0162-6973.
- Ron Wynn, ed. (1994). "Magazines". All Music Guide to Jazz. Allmusic. with Michael Erlewine, Vladimir Bogdanov & Chris Woodstra (1st ed.). San Francisco: Miller Freeman Books. p. 722. ISBN 0-87930-308-5.
|This music magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.