Caerleon Comprehensive School
|Caerleon Comprehensive School|
|Cold Bath Road, Caerleon, Newport, Wales
|School district||City of Newport|
|Deputy Head||Mrs R Hughes|
|Head teacher||Mr T Pratt MBA, BA (Hons)|
There are around 1600 pupils on roll, including almost 400 sixth-form students studying at Key Stage 5 in the sixth form. All pupils are required to wear a school uniform, varying with gender. The uniform includes grey trousers or a knee-length skirt, a navy blue jumper, a navy blue blazer, a sky blue shirt and a maroon tie with blue stripes for male students or a pin badge for females. Sixth formers are distinguished through white shirts and full, maroon ties.
The school crest comprises a Roman eagle above the emblem of a fortress, (a reference to Caerleon being the site of the Isca Augusta Roman fortress) underscored by the school's motto, 'Perseverance'. This was brought in at the beginning of the September 2011 term, along with an alternate timetable schedule, to accommodate Newport students studying sciences at the school.
At the point of last count the school accommodates 1,671 pupils and the maximum capacity stands at 1,489 and is 182 pupils over capacity.
According to a 2011 Estyn inspection, all students leaving at Key Stage 4 left with a recognized qualification
Department for Education performance tables reveal Caerleon Comprehensive's success record, with an average of 95% of pupils who took their GCSEs between 1998-2000 achieving five or more A to G grades, and 72% achieving five or more grades at A to C.
Notable former pupils
- Nigel Vaughan, Wales international footballer
- Nick Walne, Wales international rugby union player
- Ashley Smith and Rhys Jenkins, Newport Gwent Dragons rugby union players
- Greg Pritchard, countertenor and contestant and semi-finalist in the 2009 series of Britain's Got Talent.
- Steve Lowndes, Wales international footballer, former teacher
- Rachel Rice, 2008 Big Brother winner. She also undertook teacher-training at the school, during the spring of 2008, prior to her appearance.
- Darragh Mortell, actor.
- Newport City Council, August 2011
- Caerleon Comprehensive School, 2012-2013
- Caerleon Comprehensive School Sixth Form Department, 2012-2013
- ESTYN, March 2011.
- South Wales Argus, December 2011.
- Newport City Council, 2010.
- ESTYN, March 2011.
- Department for Education statistics noting national examination success rates.
- National Assembly for Wales, 2000
- South Wales Argus Article, May 2009.