Café Coffee Day
|Headquarters||Bangalore, Karnataka India|
Number of locations
|V. G. Siddhartha, Founder and Director|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Coffee Day Fresh ‘n Ground
Coffee Day Xpress
Coffee Day Take Away
Coffee Day Exports
Coffee Day Perfect
Coffee Day Beverages
Café Coffee Day (abbreviated as CCD) is an Indian café chain owned by Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company.
Amalgamated bean coffee trading company (ABCTC) is a Chikmagalur based company which grows coffee in its own estates of 12,000 acres (4249 hectares). It is the largest producer of arabica beans in Asia exporting to various countries including USA, Europe and Japan.
Café Coffee Day was started as a retail restaurant arm of ABCTC in 1996. The first CCD outlet was set up on July 11, 1996, at Brigade Road, Bangalore, Karnataka. It rapidly expanded across various cities in India adding more stores with more than 1000 cafés open across the nation by 2011.
In 2010, it was announced that a consortium led by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts would invest 1,000 crore (USD 200 million) in Coffee Day Resorts, owned by the company. The same year, the logo was changed to the current logo, which the company stated was to showcase the chain as a place to talk. This was done with major changes in the layout of the stores, including the addition of lounges and a total revamp of the interiors.
As of September 2014, there are 1640 outlets across 29 states of India. Cafe Coffee Day has also recently expanded outside India with its outlets in Karachi, Vienna, Dubai and Prague.
In June 2010, CCD acquired Café Emporio, a café chain from the Czech Republic. Cafe Emporio has 11 cafés in Czech Republic. While 7 of them are in Prague, 1 is in Brno and Olomouc and 2 are at Freeport-Hate.
Cafe Coffee Day's divisions include:
- Coffee Day Fresh 'n' Ground, which owns 450 coffee bean and powder retail outlets
- Coffee Day Square, a high level coffee bar in Bangalore
- Coffee Day Xpress, which runs 900 plus Coffee Day kiosks
- Coffee Day Beverages, which runs over 14,000 vending machines
- Coffee Day Exports, its exporting wing
- Coffee Day Perfect, its fast-moving consumer goods packaged coffee division
- Coffee Day B2C Plant, Coffee vending machine manufacturing division
Cafe Coffee day was named "most popular hangout joint amongst youth" at the 3rd Global Youth Marketing Forum in 2011. The Indian Hospitality Excellence Awards also named it "India's most popular coffee joint" in 2011.
According to the Brand Trust Report 2012, Cafe Coffee Day was ranked 125th among India's most trusted brands and subsequently, according to the Brand Trust Report 2013, Cafe Coffee Day was ranked 210th among India's most trusted brands.
- "From bean to the cuppa that you enjoy!". Official website of Cafe Coffee day. Cafe Coffee day. Retrieved 2008-03-06.
- Forbes India Magazine - V.G. Siddhartha is Branching Out
- "Full of beans". Calcutta. The Telegraph. 3 April 2014. Retrieved Jul 25, 2014.
- "How Starbucks and Cafe Coffee Day are squaring up for control of India’s coffee retailing market". Economic Times. 8 January 2014. Retrieved Jul 25, 2014.
- "KKR-led consortium to invest Rs 1k-cr in Coffee Day Resorts". Economic Times. 15 March 2010. Retrieved Jul 24, 2014.
- "Cafe Coffee Day unveils new logo". Bangalore. Deccan Herald. 6 October 2010. Retrieved Jul 24, 2014.
- "Cafe Coffee Day to go for makeover, to open 180 outlets this fiscal". Mumbai. Daily News and Analysis. 28 June 2010. Retrieved Jul 24, 2014.
- Competition in the coffee retailing sector steps up - Business Today
- A lot can happen over coffee | Cafe Coffee Day
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2014".