A coffee nap or caffeine nap, occasionally called a napuccino, is a brief period of sleep which lasts about 15 to 20 minutes which is preceded by drinking a caffeinated beverage such as coffee or tea to combat daytime drowsiness. Research suggests that coffee naps were more effective than regular naps in improving post-nap alertness and cognitive functioning. The combination of caffeine plus a short nap helps the body get rid of sleep-inducing chemical compounds known as adenosine, according to researchers. Since it takes the body about 20 minutes to respond to the caffeine, the person is fully alert following the nap, and the caffeine does not interfere with the nap itself. One account suggested that it was like a "double shot of energy" from the stimulating boost from caffeine plus better alertness from napping. This procedure has been studied on sleep-deprived humans given the task of driving a motor vehicle afterwards, although it has not been studied on elderly populations.
- Naomi Imatome Yun, World Lifestyle, Get a Jolt with the “Caffeine Nap”, Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "Napuccino... Longborough University scientists have found out that having caffeine before a short nap boosts alertness...
- The Editors of Prevention, Prevention magazine, 6 Good Health Habits Made Better, Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "...1. Take a "caffeine nap"..."
- An Unashamed Defense of Coffee, Authors: Roseane M. Santos, Roseane M. Santos, M.Sc., Ph.D. & Darcy R. Lima, M.D., Ph.D., Darcy R. Lima, Xlibris Corporation publishers, 2009, , Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, (see page 66), "...researchers found worked best was a Caffeine Nap..."
- ANAHAD O'CONNOR OCTOBER 31, 2011, The New York Times, Really? The Claim: For a More Restful Nap, Avoid Caffeine, Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "...sleep researchers in England found that drinking a cup of coffee and then immediately taking a 15-minute nap was even more effective....
- Rose Eveleth, Smithsonian magazine, OCTOBER 24, 2013, What Is the Exactly Perfect Time to Drink Your Coffee? It's a good thing that science is here to figure out the exact perfect way to drink a cup of coffee, Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "...taking a 15 minute (no longer) nap right after you chug your coffee..."
- ,Corrie Pikul, 02/27/2012, Oprah magazine, 6 More Health Myths—Busted!, Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "...Drinking a cup of coffee and then immediately snoozing for 15 minutes was more effective at reviving a wiped-out person.."
- Psychophysiology, 1997 Nov; 34(6):721-5, Reyner LA1, Horne JA., Suppression of sleepiness in drivers: combination of caffeine with a short nap., Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "...caffeine and a < 15-min nap effectively and separately reduce sleepiness in drivers for 1 hr......" PMID: 9401427 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Sleep Medicine, Volume 14, Supplement 1 , Page e309, December 2013, The effect of caffeine nap on declarative and procedural memory in elderly, Retrieved Aug. 29, 2014, "...additional benefit on cognitive functioning ... not been examined in the elderly population...." PII: S1389-9457(13)01973-4 -- doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2013.11.758