Cagliari railway station
|Exterior of the station building.|
|Platforms||4 (8 tracks)|
|Manager||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana
CTM and ARST buses
Cagliari is the main railway station of the Italian city of Cagliari, the capital of Sardinia. It is owned by the Ferrovie dello Stato, the national rail company of Italy, and is the most important station of its region. The station is sometimes unofficially named Cagliari Centrale and Cagliari Piazza Matteotti. This second name is due to station's position on Giacomo Matteotti Square.
The station was inaugurated in July 1879, as terminus of the central Sardinian line to Oristano, Ozieri and Olbia. In 1893 it was linked to the port for freight traffic. In the late 1980s, due to the construction of a second track on the Cagliari-Decimomannu line, the station was renovated and a fourth platform (to host a total of 8 passenger tracks) was built.
Structure and transport 
Cagliari station is located in the middle of the city and counts a railway depot 200 m in north and parallel to the line. The station building has three floors and, at the top, a sculpture representing the coat of arms of the city and the inscription "
FERROVIE DELLO STATO".
Other station 
Cagliari has a separate railway station, for Ferrovie della Sardegna (FdS), at Piazza della Repubblica. It is served by a suburban railway that, with a 2008-opened light rail line (a metrotranvia in Italian) to Monserrato, is part of a projected Metro system.
A diesel Minuetto at the station
See also 
- Trolleybuses in Cagliari
- Sassari railway station
- Railway stations in Italy
- List of railway stations in Sardinia
- Rail transport in Italy
- History of rail transport in Italy
Notes and references 
- Links to Ozieri-Sassari-Porto Torres and Decimomannu-Iglesias/Carbonia lines
- Part of the line to Olbia and Golfo Aranci
- An Italian railway map showing electrified and not-electrified lines
- due to the break-of-gauge between FS (1,435 mm) and FdS (950 mm) lines
- (Italian) Metro Cagliari on the Ferrovie della Sardegna website
Media related to Cagliari railway station at Wikimedia Commons