Cairo International Model United Nations
Cairo International Model United Nations (CIMUN) is a collegiate level Model United Nations organisation that is based in Cairo, Egypt. The CIMUN program is the oldest student activity on the American University in Cairo (AUC) campus and is currently recognised as one of the largest inter-collegiate Model United Nations programs outside of North America. It is well known for its annual March conference.
Beginning in 2007, CIMUN began including high school students in its delegations. By this time, CIMUN's simulation of the UN had expanded, since its inception, from modelling one UN council to seven councils: the Security Council, HRC, ICJ, ECOSOC, IAEA, GA Plenary, and European Union.
In 2010, CIMUN won the Outstanding Delegation Award while at the National Model United Nations Conference in New York. While this is the second time the group has won the award, this time is considered more important because the group was representing their own country, Egypt.
CIMUN holds an annual conference in March. Its primary goal is to increase student interest in and awareness of the United Nations and international affairs. The conference events are wholly organised by students. Participants from international universities—including Yale, Columbia, Concordia, and Riverside City College—have attended the conference.
The following is a list of some notable keynote speakers for past March conferences, along with the year of the speech:
- Boutros Ghali
- Ali El Din Helal
- Ahmed Maher
- Suzanne Mubarak (1998)
- Kofi Anan (2002)
- Youssef Boutros Ghali, El-Sayed Yassin, and Ibrahim Kamel (2000)
- Nabil Elaraby (2006)
- Mohammed El Farnawany (2007)
- Amr Moussa (2008)
- "Cairo International Model United Nations (CIMUN)". Munworld. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "Cairo International Model United Nations Conference. : Cairo Conferences events, What's on in Wanted in Africa". Cairo.wantedinafrica.com. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Sosostris, Madame (2003). "Pack of Cards". Al Ahram. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Multilateral diplomacy and the United Nations today" - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- El Alfy, Farah (3 December 2005). "A true inspiration". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "Cairo International Model United Nations". Cimun.com. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Makary, Adam Daily News Egypt - CAIRO MODEL UN INAUGURATES ITS 19TH SESSION
- "American University in Cairo Comprehensive Analysis of Move Pre/Post University Shift (CAMPUS) Research Project". Aucegypt.edu. Retrieved 26 August 2010.[dead link]
- "Model United Nations attracts less because of AUC move". Auccaravan.wordpress.com. 24 November 2008. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "AUC Students Win Outstanding Delegation Award at the National Model United Nations" - The American University in Cairo[dead link]
- "AUC Wins Outstanding Delegation Award In New York". Al Bawaba. 17 May 2010. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- ""From MUN to the Real United Nations" - AUC Today". .aucegypt.edu. 10 March 1998. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Rabie, Passant (16 March 2008). "Model UN celebrates 20 years of development". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- ""What's On in Cairo: Conferences" - Wanted in Africa". Cairo.wantedinafrica.com. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "Al-Ahram Weekly | Pack of cards". Weekly.ahram.org.eg. 15 March 2000. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "About CIMUN". Cimun.com. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "AUC Today". .aucegypt.edu. 10 March 1998. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Nadine El Sayed CIMUN pushes students to lead - Caravan. Sunday, 12 March 2006
- Arab League Leaders Admit Policy Failures Caravan. 16 March 2008
- Official Website
- El Sayed, Nadine (12 March 2006). "CIMUN pushes students to lead". Caravan. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Celebrating International Women’s Day in the American University in Cairo" - The Suzanne Mubarak Women’s International Peace Movement
- "Cairo Model UN inaugurates its 19th session" - Daily News Egypt