Cake (2014 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Daniel Barnz|
|Produced by||Mark Canton
|Written by||Patrick Tobin|
William H. Macy
|Music by||Christophe Beck|
|Edited by||Kristina Boden|
|Distributed by||Cinelou Releasing|
|Running time||102 minutes|
Cake is a 2014 American drama film written by Patrick Tobin, directed by Daniel Barnz, and starring Jennifer Aniston, Adriana Barraza, Felicity Huffman, William H. Macy, Anna Kendrick, and Sam Worthington. It debuted in the Special Presentations section of the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. Aniston portrays an acerbic woman who becomes fascinated by the suicide of a woman in her chronic-pain support group. As she uncovers the details of the suicide, she grapples with her own personal demons.
The film has been selected to close the Capri, Hollywood International Film Festival on January 2, 2015.
- Jennifer Aniston as Claire Simmons
- Adriana Barraza as Silvana
- Felicity Huffman as Annette
- William H. Macy as Leonard
- Anna Kendrick as Nina
- Sam Worthington as Roy
- Chris Messina as Jason
- Mamie Gummer as Bonnie
- Misty Upham as Liz
- Rose Abdoo as Innocencia
- Camille Guaty as Tina
- Ashley Crow as Stephanie
- Paula Cale as Carol
- Britt Robertson as Becky
- Pepe Serna as Nincio
- Julio Oscar Mechoso as Dr. Mata
- Lucy Punch as Nurse Gayle
- Camille Mana as Nurse Amparo
On February 10, 2014, it was announced that Jennifer Aniston will play the lead in Cake. Daniel Barnz, the director, said "Of the zillions of Jennifer Aniston fans, I might be the biggest one of all. I've especially loved her more dramatic performances, and I can’t wait to watch her tackle a role that has such a brilliantly funny voice and so much raw pain (hats off to writer Patrick Tobin). I’m honored to be collaborating with Ben, Kristin and Courtney, and it’s exciting that Cake will be the first film under the Cinelou banner. It feels like we’re all taking a leap of faith together, and that’s pretty thrilling.". On March 15, Mexican actress Adriana Barraza is also announced in the cast of the drama. The rest of the cast was revealed on April 1.
Most critical reviews have been mixed and it currently holds a 45% "Rotten" rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 4.9/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 46 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews"
|People Magazine Award||Movie Performance of the Year - Actress||Jennifer Aniston||Won|
|Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role||Pending|
|Golden Globe Awards||Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama||Pending|
|Critics' Choice Awards||Best Actress||Pending|
- Bloom, David. "Jennifer Aniston On Connecting With Her ‘Cake’ Character – The Contenders VIDEO". Deadline. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- "CAKE (15)". British Board of Film Classification. December 19, 2014. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (February 9, 2014). "Jennifer Aniston Starring in Indie Drama ‘Cake’". Variety.
- "Toronto Film Festival Lineup". Variety. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- Anderson, Ariston. The Hollywood Reporter.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (February 9, 2014). "Jennifer Aniston To Star In ‘Cake’; First Pic Under New Cinelou Banner". Deadline.
- Sneide, Jeff (2014-03-14). "Jennifer Aniston Joined by Brad Pitt's ‘Babel’ Co-Star in ‘Cake’ (Exclusive)". The Wrap.
- Sneide, Jeff (April 1, 2014). "Sam Worthington, Anna Kendrick, Chris Messina Join Jennifer Aniston in ‘Cake’ (Exclusive)". The Wrap.
- "Jennifer Aniston On The Set Of ‘Cake’".