Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners
|CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners|
|University||Cal State Bakersfield|
|Conference||Western Athletic Conference,
MPSF (Water Polo)
|NCAA||NCAA Division I|
|Athletic director||Jeff Konya|
|Varsity teams||15 (7 men's, 8 women's)
(8 m. & 11 w. sports)
|Basketball arena||Rabobank Arena (10,000)|
|Baseball stadium||Hardt Field (900)|
|Other arenas||Icardo Center (3,800)|
|Mascot||Rowdy the Roadrunner|
Royal Blue Gold
The CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners (also known as CSUB Roadrunners, and sometimes as the Bakersfield Roadrunners) are the intercollegiate athletic teams of California State University, Bakersfield, located in Bakersfield, California. The university is currently a NCAA Division I school, after previously competing at the Division II level. The Roadrunners began the transition process in 2006 and became a full Division I member in July 2010. Following a period as one of a tiny number of Division I independents, CSU Bakersfield joined the Western Athletic Conference in July 2013 for most sports.
Cal State Bakersfield sponsors teams in eight men's and eleven women's NCAA sanctioned sports:
- * = Sand volleyball is an NCAA "emerging sport" which is fully sanctioned, but does not yet have a national championship. CSUB's team competes as an independent.
- † = The wrestling team competes in the Pac–12.
- # = The water polo team competes in the MPSF.
On May 17, 2007, CSUB announced that Bill Kernen would be the school's first baseball coach, with the school's first official season beginning in Spring of 2009. The Roadrunners played their first baseball game on February 20, 2009 against Saint Louis University in an 8-7 loss, and recorded the first win in program history on February 21 with a 4-2 win against the Billikens. On September 20, 2011, the Roadrunners were invited to join the Western Athletic Conference as an affiliate member in baseball. On October 5, 2012 the Western Athletic Conference extended an invitation to the Roadrunners to join on July 1, 2013 as full members.
CSUB Wrestling competes in the Pac-12 conference since the WAC does not sponsor the sport. CSUB wrestling is the institution's original Division-I sport and since 1988 has placed as high as 3rd (1996) and 8th (1997 & 1999) in the NCAA D-I Wrestling Championships. The Roadrunner Wrestling team has produced 7 individual NCAA DI Champions beginning in 1980. Stephen Neal (156, 1996-99) is the all-time winningest wrestler at CSU Bakersfield with a record of 156-10 (the most wins of any CSUB wrestler), the most pins with 71 total, only 1 of 5 Roadrunner Wrestlers to be a 4-time All-American, as well as being a 2-time Division-I Champion in 1998 & 1999. CSUB alum Mike Mendoza is the current head coach since the 2010-11 season. The wrestling team practices on campus in the John B. Antonino Sports Center (specifically for wrestling) and competes at the Icardo Center also on campus. Former Roadrunner wrestler and former UFC Champion Tito Ortiz set multiple UFC Light Heavyweight records.
National Division II Championships
- Men's basketball: 1993, 1994, 1997
- Men's swimming and diving: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004
- Wrestling: 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1987
- Men's soccer: 1997
- Softball: 1988, 1989, 1990
- Women's volleyball: 1989
- Women's tennis: 1977 (AIAW)
- "Jeff Konya To Become Roadrunner Director of Athletics Jan. 8". Cal State Bakersfield. November 29, 2010. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- Although the school brands itself athletically as "CSU Bakersfield", its current primary conference, the Western Athletic Conference, uses "Bakersfield".
- "The Move T0 NCAA Division I". Cal State Bakersfield. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Bill Kernen Bio". GoRunners.com. Retrieved March 21, 2008.
- Kelly, Mason (August 6, 2007). "New CSUB baseball coach building foundation, future schedule". Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "CSUB Baseball: St. Louis University at CSU Bakersfield (Game 1)". CSU Bakersfield. Feb 20, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Billikens Drop Both Games of Doubleheader at CSU Bakersfield". St. Louis University. Feb 21, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "WAC adds Bakersfield and Dallas Baptist as Baseball schools". Las Cruces Sun-News. September 20, 2011. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- "History and Records Handbook". CSUB Wrestling. Retrieved 2014.
- "CSUB Athletics Facilties". CSUB Wrestling. Retrieved 2014.
- "Titio Ortiz Cal State Bakersfield". Retrieved 2014.
- Loveless, Jaclyn. "AD is 4th CSUB Wang winner". Cal State Today. Retrieved March 21, 2008.