Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners
|CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners|
|University||Cal State Bakersfield|
|Conference(s)||Western Athletic Conference,
WWPA (Water Polo)
|NCAA||NCAA Division I|
|Athletic director||Jeff Konya|
|Varsity teams||17 (7 men's, 10 women's)|
|Basketball arena||Rabobank Arena (10,000)|
|Baseball stadium||Hardt Field (900)|
|Other arenas||Icardo Center (3,800)|
|Mascot||Rowdy the Roadrunner|
|Colors||Royal Blue and Gold
The CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners (also known as CSUB Roadrunners, and sometimes as the Bakersfield Roadrunners) are the intercollegiate athletic teams of California State University, Bakersfield, located in Bakersfield, California. The university is currently a NCAA Division I school, after previously competing at the Division II level. The Roadrunners began the transition process in 2006 and became a full Division I member starting in July 2010. Following a period as one of a tiny number of Division I independents, CSU Bakersfield joined the Western Athletic Conference in July 2013.
The Cal State Bakersfield Athletic Department sponsors seven men's sports and ten women's sports:
On May 17, 2007, CSUB announced that Bill Kernen would be the school's first baseball coach, with the school's first official season beginning in Spring of 2009. The Roadrunners played their first baseball game on February 20, 2009 against Saint Louis University in a 8-7 loss, and recorded the first win in program history on February 21 with a 4-2 win against the Billikens. On September 20, 2011, the Roadrunners were invited to join the Western Athletic Conference as an affiliate member in baseball. On October 5, 2012 the Western Athletic Conference extended an invitation to the Roadrunners to join on July 1, 2013 as full members.
CSUB Wrestling competes in the Pac-12 conference. CSUB wrestling is the institution's original Division-I sport and has placed 3rd (1996) and 8th (1999) in the NCAA D-I Wrestling Championships.
National Division II Championships
- Men's basketball: 1993, 1994, 1997
- Men's swimming and diving: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004
- Wrestling: 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1987
- Men's soccer: 1997
- Softball: 1988, 1989, 1990
- Women's volleyball: 1989
- Women's tennis: 1977 (AIAW)
- "Jeff Konya To Become Roadrunner Director of Athletics Jan. 8". Cal State Bakersfield. November 29, 2010. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- Although the school brands itself athletically as "CSU Bakersfield", its current primary conference, the Western Athletic Conference, uses "Bakersfield".
- "The Move T0 NCAA Division I". Cal State Bakersfield. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Bill Kernen Bio". GoRunners.com. Retrieved March 21, 2008.
- Kelly, Mason (August 6, 2007). "New CSUB baseball coach building foundation, future schedule". Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "CSUB Baseball: St. Louis University at CSU Bakersfield (Game 1)". CSU Bakersfield. Feb 20, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Billikens Drop Both Games of Doubleheader at CSU Bakersfield". St. Louis University. Feb 21, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "WAC adds Bakersfield and Dallas Baptist as Baseball schools". Las Cruces Sun-News. September 20, 2011. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Loveless, Jaclyn. "AD is 4th CSUB Wang winner". Cal State Today. Retrieved March 21, 2008.