Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros
|Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros|
|University||California State University, Dominguez Hills|
|Conference||California Collegiate Athletic Association|
|Baseball stadium||Toro Field|
|Soccer stadium||Toro Stadium|
The Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros (also CSU Dominguez Hills Toros, CSUDH Toros, and California State-Dominguez Hills Toros) are the athletic teams that represent California State University, Dominguez Hills, located in Dominguez Hills, California, in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. The Toros compete as members of the California Collegiate Athletic Association for all 9 varsity sports.
The men's soccer team plays at Toro Stadium (capacity 3,000). Other sports venues for the university are the Torodome (capacity 3,602) for basketball and volleyball; Toro Field (capacity 300) for baseball; and Toro Diamond (capacity 300) for softball. Select home games are nationally televised live via Internet TV. Even though the StubHub Center, home of the Los Angeles Galaxy is located on the campus of CSUDH, the Toros do not play there.
Kevin Pillar played center field for the Toros baseball team, for which he was an All American. In 2010, as a junior he set an NCAA Division II record at the school, with a 54-game hitting streak, five games more than the prior record. Pillar finished his college career as the school's all-time batting leader, with a .367 average. In August 2013, he became a major leaguer, for the Toronto Blue Jays.
The men’s soccer won its second national NCAA Division II championship in a match against Dowling College on December 7, 2008 at the University of Tampa’s Pepin Stadium. The women's soccer team won a NCAA Division II title in 1991. The women's track & field team won the NCAA Division II 4x400 meter relay national championship in 2011.
Track & Field
The university's most notable athlete alumna is the fastest woman in the world, sprinter Carmelita Jeter (Class of ’06, B.A., kinesiology), who is a 2012 Olympic bronze, silver and gold medalist.
- "Cal State Dominguez Hills Athletics – Kevin Pillar – 2010 Baseball". Gotoros.com. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- David Driver (May 21, 2013). "Cal State Dominguez Hills Athletics – Former Toro Kevin Pillar Off to Great Start in Double-A Debut". Gotoros.com. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Gregor Chisholm and Evan Peaslee (August 14, 2013). "Pillar, 32nd-round pick in '11, called up to Majors". bluejays.com. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Pillar makes impact after call up to Blue Jays". Jewishtribune.ca. September 10, 2013. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- "Kevin Pillar Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Ian Kadish (March 18, 2013). "Kevin Pillar: the best Jewish player you’ve never heard of". Jewish Baseball News. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Kevin Pillar: Just a Fourth Outfielder?". Bluebird Banter. August 14, 2013. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- "California State University Dominguez Hills Baseball Players". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 20, 2013.