Calape, Bohol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Calape
Municipality
Poblacion
Poblacion
Map of Bohol with Calape highlighted
Map of Bohol with Calape highlighted
Calape is located in Philippines
Calape
Calape
Location within the Philippines
Coordinates: 09°53′N 123°53′E / 9.883°N 123.883°E / 9.883; 123.883Coordinates: 09°53′N 123°53′E / 9.883°N 123.883°E / 9.883; 123.883
Country Philippines
Region Central Visayas (Region VII)
Province Bohol
District 1st district of Bohol
Founded 1802
Barangays 33
Government[1]
 • Mayor Sulpicio N. Yu Jr.
Area[1]
 • Total 76.15 km2 (29.40 sq mi)
Elevation 102 m (335 ft)
Population (2010)[2]
 • Total 30,146
 • Density 400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)
Time zone PST (UTC+8)
ZIP code 6328
Dialing code 38
Income class 4th class

Calape is a municipality in the province of Bohol, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 30,146 people.[2] The first settlers of Calape were said to be migrants from Cebu and other municipalities in Bohol.

Its name is derived from cape, either referring to specie of rattan or to a plant that is the source of a common beverage, both of which still grow abundantly there to this day.[3]

Geography[edit]

The town center is facing the Cebu Strait on the western side of Bohol Island, about 41 kilometres (25 mi) from Tagbilaran City. The jurisdiction of Calape includes the islands of Pangangan (composed of eight barangays) and Mantatao, as well as two uninhabited islets, Poom Island and Basihan Island.[4]

There are four rivers that flow through its territory: Tultugan and Liboron Rivers that drain into Calape Bay, and Calunasan and Abucayan Norte Rivers that drain into the Tipcan Bay.[4]

Most of the coastal area is a fairly level plain that gradually rises into rolling hills of corraline limestone. The highest point in Calape is Mount Candungao in the eastern portion of the town, with an elevation of 500 feet (150 m) above sea level.[5]

Barangays[edit]

Calape is politically subdivided into 33 barangays, of which 18 are coastal barangays.

  • Abucayan Norte
  • Abucayan Sur
  • Banlasan
  • Bentig
  • Binogawan
  • Bonbon
  • Cabayugan
  • Cabudburan
  • Calunasan
  • Camias
  • Canguha
  • Catmonan
  • Desamparados
  • Kahayag
  • Kinabag-an
  • Labuon
  • Lawis
  • Liboron
  • Looc
  • Lomboy
  • Lucob
  • Madangog
  • Magtongtong
  • Mandaug
  • Mantatao
  • Sampoangon
  • San Isidro
  • Santa Cruz (Centro)
  • Sohoton
  • Talisay
  • Tinibgan
  • Tultugan
  • Ulbujan

History[edit]

By the time Spaniards arrived, there was already a native settlement in Calape. In 1802, the Spanish Governor of Cebu established it as an independent municipality.[3]

In 1957, Abucayan Norte was created from the sitios of Cabulihan and Cabinong and Abucayan Sur from the sitios of Rama and Bino.[6] On the other hand, the sitios of Binogawan, Masonoy, Bentig, Cahayag, and Lawis were constituted into barrios too.[7]

Demographics[edit]

Population census of Calape
Year Pop.   ±% p.a.  
1990 24,608 —    
1995 26,051 +1.07%
2000 27,921 +1.50%
2007 29,786 +0.90%
2010 30,146 +0.44%
Source: National Statistics Office[2][8]

Religion[edit]

92% of Calape's population is Roman Catholic. The remaining 8 percent are divided among other religious groups, including: the United Church of Christ in the Philippines, Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah’s Witnesses, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Born Again Christians, Seventh-day Adventist Church, Four Square Gospel Church.[9]

Gallery[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "Municipality of Calape". Province of Bohol. Retrieved 2012-09-11. 
  2. ^ a b c "Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City, and Municipality - Region VII - Central Visayas: 1990, 2000, and 2010". National Statistics Office. 
  3. ^ a b "Historical Background". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012. 
  4. ^ a b "About Calape: quick info". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012. 
  5. ^ "Topography". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012. 
  6. ^ "An Act Creating the Barrios of Abucayan Norte and Abucayan Sur, Municipality of Calape, Province of Bohol". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12. 
  7. ^ "An Act Creating Certain Barrios in the Municipality of Calape, Province of Bohol". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12. 
  8. ^ National Statistics Office - Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City and Municipality: Central Visayas: 1995, 2000 and 2007
  9. ^ "Religion". Municipality of Calape. Retrieved 3 October 2012. 

External links[edit]