Coordinates: Calcutta Riverside is a satellite township development across 262 acres (1.060 km2) being developed by Riverbank Developers Pvt. Ltd. in joint venture with Bata India Limited planned on the banks of the Hooghly River in Kolkatain South 24 Parganas district under Maheshtala Municipality, India. Riverbank Holdings the operating company has finalised a funding of Rs 117.60 crore for the IT SEZ portion of this project on the outskirts of Kolkata.
Yatra Capital Ltd will invest the funds in the IT SEZ component of the Calcutta Riverside project in lieu of 50 per cent equity stake in the SEZ. Spread over 25 acres (101,000 m2), the IT SEZ will have a built-up area of 21.92 lakh sq.ft. This is a joint venure of Riverbank Holdings Private Ltd. and Bata India Ltd and KMDA. .
Calcutta Riverside is a mixed use development with high-end residential communities around river, golf course and lakes. It has amenities including an IT park within 25-acre (101,000 m2) SEZ, a ‘Crowne Plaza’ 200-room hotel with 50 service apartments overlooking the river, a retail mall with Big Bazaar and Hometown anchors by Future Group, a multi-specialty hospital with diagnostic center, a school, a 9-hole golf course, a large sports and recreation club, an exclusive golf club; and a 700-metre-long riverfront promenade with fun retail and a marina.
The 1,400-crore Batanagar rejuvenation project and The Rs 150-crore “international, four-star deluxe” resort is under construction. Holiday Inn is owned by the UK-based InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), which licences it out to franchisees and third parties who operate hotels under management agreements. With an 800-bed multi-speciality hospital also tied up with the Asia Heart Foundation, and international alliances for a “knowledge village” being completed, the contours of the 256.94-acre (1,039,800 m2) Batanagar redevelopment are now in place. Implementing Calcutta Riverside is in the process of tying up with Dulwich College, London, and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, among others, for the knowledge campus.
The township has been designed with environmentally friendly design and onsite initiatives like the 25-acre (101,000 m2) IT Park registered as a Green Building, retention of existing water bodies and recreation of more lined up with geo-textile blankets, retention of as much green cover as possible, offsite nursery development, zero sewage discharge, recycled water usage for irrigation and HVAC, use of sustainable building materials like bricks, concrete blocks etc. for the façade treatment, use of screens and shading devices, building envelopes around green courts, etc.
- 1 The Project
- 2 Amenities
- 3 Infrastructure
- 4 Budget
- 5 Status
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Golf Greens-Golf Condominium
The Princep- Riverfront Housing
The Terminus - Transport Hub
The 6.40-acre (25,900 m2) transportation node will provide connections to the city through buses, taxis and auto rickshaws. and connections for moving around in the estate.
The Maidan - Community Ground
A 14-acre (57,000 m2) congregation area with an existing water body that has been recrafted, the Maidan will provide for community celebrations such as Durga Puja and other large events and gatherings.
The educational infrastructure will be three existing schools that would be refurnished and a new institute.
Calcutta Riverside Club - Sports and Recreation Club
Sports such as badminton, tennis, basketball, cricket and football and much more will be on offer. There will also be a gymnasium and spa, and a swimming pool.
Treated surface water from KMWSA will be supplied through the Maheshtala Booster Pumping Station.
Sewage would be transferred to the STPs (Sewage Treatment Plant) within the township. A new closed STP would be added to the two existing STPs to create an environment-friendly sewerage system with a recycled water distribution network.
Pond Water and Storm Water Management
A pond water and storm water management system will ensure the health of the local eco-system.
The township has been divided into eleven firefighting zones. Among these, for eight zones, the adjacent water bodies will be used; while for the other three, a combination of water bodies and underground pumps will be used.
Roads and walkways
With segregated pedestrian and vehicular routes, a road networks for easy internal circulation, covered parking for all housing formats, surface parking for visitors, parking areas planned for the industrial park, commercial areas, schools and hospital, and pedestrian-friendly roads with landscaped footpaths, medians and bio-swales. A peripheral road around the site would act as a visual shield between the township and the outside community.
A designated standby power supply system from CESC will ensure 24-hour power supply for the township.
Set to cost INR 1,200 crore, Calcutta Riverside is perhaps the most high profile project to have been taken up in the city in recent years—with the possible exception of the Salim Group's 5,000-acre (20 km2) Kolkata West International.
The existing Bata girls, boys and primary school will be upgraded and a separate school on 6.65-acre (26,910 m2) and a 300-bed hospital will be built. Some of the trees abounding the estate have been cut down, says Dabriwal, but none that are old and deserve to be preserved, and the buildings, especially the central spine, has been designed around it.
The IT/industrial park and mall will generate employment. The 1.2 kilometre riverfront will be developed with recreation facilities for residents and visitors. Post completion, Calcutta Riverside will give employment to 30,570 people.
- "Batanagar 'Calcutta Riverside' Housing Project by River Bank Estates & Holdings Pvt. Ltd.". www.processregister.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Calcutta Riverside". kolkatarealty.tripod.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "hiland". www.nabc2006.org. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "The Hindu Business Line : Calcutta Riverside project". www.thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Riverbank Holdings Private Limited". property.magicbricks.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- Saha, Subhro (October 20, 2006). "Propertt-On the riverfront- With an IT park, mall and housing by lakes, Calcutta Riverside-the township coming up in Batanagar — is ready to make an urban statement". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "BATANAGAR-Calcutta Riverside-Under Construction-SkyscraperCity". www.skyscrapercity.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Reliance secures retail space in Kolkata". www.inrnews.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- Saha, Subhro (October 4, 2007). "Riverside luxury in reborn township". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Property India Real Estate Mumbai, Chandigarh Properties for Sale Delhi, Free Ads, Kothi.com - The Asian Property Portal". www.kothi.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Property Awards Net - Regional and Global Awards In Association with CNBC, CNBC Arabia, The Daily Mail, Bangkok Post, Lycos, Toptenproperties.net, International Homes and The New York Times". www.propertyawards.net. Retrieved 2008-12-08.[dead link]
- "The Economic Times". economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2008-12-08.[dead link]
- "Propertymart - Indian Real Estate Portal - Land, Property Laws". www.propertymart.co.in. Retrieved 2008-12-08.