Caleb Smith State Park Preserve
Wyandanch Club Historic District
Caleb Smith House
|Location:||Jericho Tnpk. SW of jct. with Meadow Rd., Smithtown, New York|
|Architectural style:||Colonial, Queen Anne|
|Added to NRHP:||August 3, 1990|
Caleb Smith State Park Preserve is a state park located in Suffolk County, New York in the USA. The park is near the north shore of Long Island in the town of Smithtown. Prior to its current name, the park was called Nissequogue River State Park, a name now used for park lands on the former Kings Park Psychiatric Center grounds. Previously, it was simply known as the Wyandanch Preserve.
Originally part of the estate of Caleb Smith (1724–1800), the great grandson of Richard "Bull" Smith, the house was built in 1753 with his father Daniel Smith II. Although it has undergone many renovations, much of the original house still stands within the present building. The house was moved in either 1955 or 1958 to a plot of land behind the Smithtown Main Public Library in the Village of the Branch, New York.
Throughout the 19th century, the original house was expanded considerably. By 1888 it was bought by the Brooklyn Gun Club, and converted into a sportsman’s hunting and fishing preserve. The property was named the "Wyandanch Club" in 1893. In 1963, it was acquired by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The park offers hiking, fishing, cross-country skiing, a nature trail and recreation programs. It includes two branches of the Nissequogue River and the Wyandanch Club Historic District. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a national historic district in 1990.
The park operates a nature museum with wildlife displays and nature programs for children and adults.
See also 
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Hagstroms Atlas of Suffolk County, New York (1973)
- Hagstroms Atlas of Suffolk County, New York (1969, and others)
- Caleb Smith Park Preserve History (Friends of Caleb Smith Park Preserve)
- Caleb Smith House (Smithtown Historical Society)
- Robert D. Kuhn (March 1990). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Wyandanch Club Historic District". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2010-02-20. See also: "Accompanying 31 photos".
- New York State Parks: Caleb Smith State Park Preserve
- Postcard: View from LIRR bridge of the former Riverside Inn, which lies within the park (Smithtown Public Library)
- Friends of Caleb Smith Preserve