Caledonian Road tube station
Location of Caledonian Road in Greater London
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Original company||Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway|
|15 December 1906||Station opened|
|Added to list||20 July 2011|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
Caledonian Road is a station on the Piccadilly line of the London Underground, between King's Cross St. Pancras and Holloway Road, and in Travelcard Zone 2. It was opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway.
Caledonian Road station is located on Caledonian Road in Holloway, north London. The station continues to use lifts, never having been upgraded to escalators. Unusually for stations of its era, the lifts descend directly to platform level with no secondary staircases. In recent times this has meant that the station is now advertised as "Step Free" on line maps without rebuilding work taking place. The station is a Grade II listed building.
The next northbound station from Caledonian Road is Holloway Road while the next southbound station was originally York Road. This station closed in 1932, but can still be seen from trains. York Road was planned to be open to relieve congestion at King's Cross St. Pancras.
The typical off-peak service from this station is as follows:
- 12 tph to Heathrow Airport via Central London
- 3 tph to Rayners Lane via Central London
- 3 tph to Uxbridge via Central London
- 3 tph to Northfields via Central London
- 18 tph to Cockfosters
- 3 tph to Arnos Grove
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
Platform Level Tiling
The stations along the central part of the Piccadilly line, as well as some sections of the Northern line, were financed by Charles Yerkes, and are famous for the Leslie Green designed red station buildings and distinctive platform tiling. Each station has its own unique tile pattern and colours.
Out of Station Interchange
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Caledonian Road tube station.|
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original on 26 January 2014.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Caledonian Road Underground Station". National Heritage List for England. English Heritage.
- "16 London Underground Stations Listed At Grade II". English Heritage. Archived from the original on 2011-09-14.