Cali Swag District
|Cali Swag District|
Cali Swag District perform at Club Millennium in Anchorage, Alaska on October 24, 2010
|Labels||Sphinx Music Entertainment/319 Music Group|
|Associated acts||Jermaine Dupri, YG|
|Members||Corey "Smoove Da General" Fowler
Chante "Yung" Glee
Cahron "JayAre" Childs
|Past members||Montae "M-Bone" Talbert (deceased)|
Cali Swag District (often stylized as "CSD") is an American hip hop group from Inglewood, California, founded by former Death Row Records artist Big Wy and Dairold Potts. The group's members are rapper-DJ C-Smoove and rappers Yung and JayAre. Montae "M-Bone" Talbert, who was the group's dancer, died on May 15, 2011.
2010-present: The Kickback
After originally signing with Capitol Records, Cali Swag District began to record their debut album, The Kickback. They released their debut single, "Teach Me How to Dougie", produced by 'Runway Star' of ''The Makerz  production team on April 13, 2010. It became a commercial success, peaking at twenty-eight on the US Billboard Hot 100, nine on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, and six on the US Rap Songs chart. The songs success led the "Dougie" to become one of the most popular dances of 2010. The song's follow-up, "Where You Are", was released on September 7, 2010. It samples Michael Jackson's 1972 hit, "I Wanna Be Where You Are". The song only managed to peak at forty-five on US R&B charts and twenty-two on US Rap charts. The group's third single, "Kickback", was released on January 18, 2011. The single peaked at ninety-one on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Due to album pushbacks, much of the The Kickback was re-worked, resulting in "Where You Are" being cut from it, making "Teach Me How to Dougie" and the title track its first two singles.
With the album delayed and the future of Capitol Records parent company, EMI, unclear, CSD requested to be released from their contract with Capitol. The group eventually signed with Sphinx Music Entertainment/319 Music Group and The Kickback was distributed by Sony/RED on July 12, 2011.
Death of M-Bone
Montae Talbert, known in the group as "M-Bone", was shot on May 15, 2011. The 22-year-old rapper was the victim of a drive-by shooting in Inglewood. M-Bone was in his car after visiting a local liquor store when he was shot twice in the head. He was brought to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. Three days after M-Bone's death, Cali Swag District premiered the song, "How to Do That", in his honor. The song was included on their mixtape, Deeper Than the Dougie.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|US||US R&B||US Rap|
|"—" denotes a title that did chart, or was not released in that territory.|
- Deeper Than the Dougie (2011)
- The District (2014)
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Teach Me How to Dougie"||2010||28||9||6||US: 2x Platinum||The Kickback|
|"Where You Are"||—||45||22||non-album single|
|"Burn Out (Drive Fast)"||—||97||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Maher, Cristin. "Cali Swag District Open Up About M-Bone’s Tragic Death and ‘Kickback’ Album". PopCrush. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- "About Cali Swag District". teachmehowtodougie.com. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Cali Swag District Bring the Party Back to Inglewood". theboombox.com. 2010-06-01.
- "Cali Swag District Artist Biography". MTV.
- "Runway Star for The Makerz", makerzmusic.com, Sept 7, 2013, accessed Sept 7, 2013.
- "New Music: Cali Swag District – ‘Where You Are’". August 11, 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- "Cali Swag District Overcomes Member's Death on Debut LP". Billboard magazine.
- "Cali Swag District's M-Bone Dead From Gunshot Wounds". HipHopDX.
- "Cali Swag District Rapper M-Bone Killed In Drive-By Shooting". MTV.
- Dawson, Andrea. "Cali Swag District's M-Bone Killed in Drive-By Shooting". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Listen Now: Cali Swag District Salutes Slain Rapper M-Bone in Tribute "How to do that" in M-Bones Honor Single". eonline.com. 2010-05-26.
- "Cali Swag District Release M-Bone Tribute 'How To Do That'". MTV.com. 2010-05-23.
- "New Music: Cali Swag District – ‘Burn Out (Drive Fast)’". Rap-Up. June 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- RIAA - Gold or Platinum - April 16, 2011