Calicut Mini Marathon
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for sports and athletics. (February 2012)|
|Calicut Mini Marathon|
Calicut Mini Marathon - 2012 Main stage
|Date||26th February 2012|
|Location||Kozhikode, Kerala, India|
Calicut Mini Marathon is a running and sporting event conducted annually by IIM Kozhikode. The marathon distance is 10 kilometers, starting from Kozhikode beach. First initiated in 2010, the event takes place in the month of January or February. Over 3,000 people participate in the marathon every year. It offers 200,000 INR split between the marathoners.
The inaugural edition was held on 31 January 2010. The theme of the event was Be the change. It was organized by the Social Service Group, Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, PT USHA School of Athletics and Calicut Management Association. It aimed to bring forth awareness in them about the various issues plaguing the society and urge them to lead by example, to be the change we wish to see in this world, as Mahatma Gandhi asked of Indians.
This edition of the marathon was for rights of the disabled children. The marathon was co-hosted by Federal Bank. The marathon aimed to induce a change in mindset of the society with regards the way we perceive the differently abled. Students from NIT Calicut, Farooq College, Holy Cross College and KMCT Polytechnic college participated in the marathon.
The 2012 Marathon was held on 26 February 2012. The marathon was organized in association with Thantedam Gender park of Kozhikode, promoted by Sri. M K Muneer, the Minister for Social Welfare and Panchayat, Government of Kerala. The marathon highlighted issues such as dowry, domestic violence, security, health and economic visibility faced by women in Kerala. The mini marathon was flagged off by film director and actor, Revathi. The race day featured 10-km professional run and 3-km non-competitive 'Dream run', featuring celebrities, college students and women showcasing their work on the theme Empowering her future along the mini-marathon route. Young woman achiever Awards were given away at the end of the marathon. A flash-mob and a motor cycle rally were also organised as a part of the marathon.
The 4th edition of the marathon had the theme War on Waste and was held on 24 February 2013. The event started and ended at Calicut beach. The mini marathon comprised a 10 km run conducted separately for men and women and a 3 km dream run which was attended by celebrities, dignitaries and the general public. G Lakshmanan ( Tamil Nadu) of the Indian Army bagged the first place in the men's category by clocking his win in 28.04 minutes while O P Jaisha (Kerala) of Indian Railways emerged winner in the women's category within 34.21 minutes.
- "Calicut Mini Marathon: Registration to close soon". The Hindu. 32 January 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2012. Check date values in:
- "Mini-marathon". The Hindu. 30 January 2010. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- IIM, Kozhikode. "Birth of Calicut Marathon 2010". Rainmedia. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "IIM Kozhikode to launch 2nd edition of Calicut mini marathon". CoolAvenues. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- IIM, Kozhikode. "Calicut Mini Marathon 2011". RainMedia. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Soji,Thara win Calicut marathon". Times of India. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Aboobacker, Anula (27 February 2012). "Actress Revathi flags off Calicut Mimi Marathon". Times of India. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "IIM to host a contest for young women achievers". Minglebox. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- IndiaInfoOnline. "IIM to organize 3rd edition of Calicut Mini Marathon". Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Hundreds run in Calicut mini-marathon". Times of India. Retrieved 11 August 2013.