California High School (Whittier, California)
|California High School|
|Location||9800 South Mills Ave.,
Whittier, California, California, USA
|District||Whittier Union High School District|
|Colors||Navy and Gold|
"Cal Hi", as it is known, is home to the Condors, with around 3,000 students currently attending. The mascot is the condor and the school colors are blue and gold. It has been recently honored as a California Distinguished School, and is highly praised for its academies. It also offers a Latin program. Many sports are offered, such as golf, soccer, tennis, water polo, swimming, softball, baseball, volleyball, cross-country, wrestling, track, cheerleading and football. The band has also won many commendations and awards, including sweepstakes at the local Band Jam competition 4 years running under the direction of Doug Nordquist (2004–2006), and has ranked 6th in the SCSBOA Marching Band Championship Competition.
All hail to California!
To you in praise we sing
In victory ever onward
Our voices shall ring.
All hail to California!
To our Alma Mater hail!
To our Alma Mater hail
These three-year programs teach students about their chosen course of study during their Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year.
- Architecture & Engineering (A&E)
- Automotive Academy
- Business Academy
- Culinary Academy
- Health Academy
- Puente Program (four-year program)
- Scholar's Academy (four-year program)
The California High School has been traditionally led by a group of students known as the ASB.
Cal High is home to a diverse range of clubs, including:
- Anime Club
- German Club
- The National Honor Society
- Expanded Horizons Club
- Girls' League Board (GLB)
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Dead Language Club (DLC)
- Life Teen Club
- Asian Club
- Club Eco
- California Scholarship Federation (CSF)
- Scrapbooking Club
- Campus Light
- Speech and Debate
- Chess Club
- Drama Club
- Spanish Club
- American Sign Language Club (ASL)
- Model United Nations (MUN) or Model UN
- Key Club
- Fight Breast Cancer Club (FBC)
- Men's League Board (MLB)
- Dumbledore's Army
- Bryan Berry - lead implementor of the One Laptop Per Child project in Nepal
- Beau Bokan - lead vocalist of blessthefall
- Anthony Reyes - Major League Baseball pitcher. Currently in the minors with the Cleveland Indians. Pitched and won Game 1 of the 2006 World Series with the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Nicolas Grigsby - NFL running back for the Miami Dolphins, Raiders, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Craig McCraken -Director/Writer/Cartoonist of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- R. Kent Hughes - Best selling author (Disciplines of a Godly Man - Crossway Books); general editor of and major contributor to the Preaching the Word Commentary series (Crossway Books). See http://www.preachingtheword.com/KentHughes.asp
- Mark Stringer, 1967, international attorney (China, UK, Nigeria), Utah Guardian ad Litem, Utah Judge Pro Tem, served two tours in Vietnam, Bronze Star, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Best Actor for King Arthur 1985