California Pacific Medical Center
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
- The German Hospital (founded in 1858 and renamed Franklin Hospital during World War I),
- St. Luke's Hospital (1871),
- The Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children (1875, shortened to Children's Hospital in 1877),
- Cooper Medical College (1882, became Stanford Medical school in 1959),
- Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital (1887),
- Lane Hospital of Cooper Medical College (1895, became Presbyterian Hospital after the school moved to Stanford),
- Garden Sullivan Hospital (1913), and
- the Northern California Transplant Bank (1980).
Several of these institutions operated nursing schools (Pacific Dispensary, St. Luke's, Lane) as well as outreach clinics (such as St. Luke's Neighborhood Clinic, founde in 1920).
The Growth of CPMC
In 1991 Presbyterian Hospital and Children's Hospital merged, medical staffs were combined, and a large joint physician group was established in 1993. The new multiple-facility entity was named California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC). The new hospital began its life by refusing to recognize the California Nurses Association which had represented Registered Nurses at Children's Hospital since 1947. The merged hospital also struggled to reduce costs, finally succeeding when a new management team took a ruthless approach.
The new CPMC inherited from Presbyterian Hospital membership in the California HealthCare System, members also included Marin General Hospital, Alta Bates Hospital in Oakland and Berkeley, and Mills-Peninsula Medical Center in San Mateo and Burlingame. This system joined with the Sutter Health System of Sacramento in 1996 to form Sutter/CHS, (later renamed Sutter Health). A major project of the new company was organizing capitalization for replacement of every hospital facility, to conform to new seismic legislation underway in the California Legislature.
In 1997, the former Franklin Hospital (now known as Ralph K. Davies Medical Center) was acquired by CPMC. This action was motivated - in part - by the subsequently-failed merger of area teaching giants Stanford Hospital and UCSF Medical Center. The former St. Luke's Hospital officially affiliated with CPMC in January 2007, but the medical staffs remain separate. St. Luke's had joined Sutter as an independent affiliate in July 2001, after initiating and pursuing anti-trust litigation against CPMC.
CPMC maintains separate hospital licenses for the California+Pacific+Davies segment, and for St. Luke's (which has a very different patient demographic). In 2010, Sutter Health reorganized its many hospitals and medical foundations into regions. CPMC now shares a board of directors and tax ID with Novato Community Hospital, Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa, and Sutter Lakeside Hospital, as well as the Sutter-Pacific Medical Foundation.
The hospital facilities are now known as Pacific Campus (2333 Buchanan Street, San Francisco, originally Presbyterian Hospital), California Campus (3700 California Street - Children's Hospital), Davies Campus (Castro & Duboce Streets), and St. Luke's Campus (3555 Cesar Chavez Street) of California Pacific Medical Center.
In 2013, CPMC began construction of a new 500-bed hospital at Van Ness and Geary; this facility will replace both the California and Pacific campus facilities for inpatient care. Ground was also broken in September 2014 to build a 120-bed replacement hospital at St. Luke's, after years of dispute over whether CPMC would continue to operate a hospital in the Mission District.
As a part of the process for getting County permission to build the new facilities, CPMC has committed to maintaining or increasing its services to the city's poor.
CPMC hosts the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, which conducts basic science and clinical studies into a range of topics. Michael Rowbotham, M.D. is Senior Scientist and Scientific Director of the research institute.
- List of hospitals in California
- Brian Andrews, chairman of the Department of Neurosciences
- Marilyn Schlitz, Senior Scientist at the Research Institute of California Pacific Medical Center
- David Schanaker, DC, Integrative Chiropractor at the Marin and Santa Rosa Clinics.
- "California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, CA - US News Best Hospitals". Health.usnews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Bay Area Pediatric Pulmonary Medical Corporation - BAPP - California Pacific Medical Center". Bappmc.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Hospital co-pay confusion proves to be a headache for new parents | abc7news.com". Abclocal.go.com. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "San Francisco History - Asylums and Hospitals, 1897". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "California Pacific Medical Center History Timeline". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Panorama from Market Street Hill, Showing German Hospital, St. Joseph's Home, and Buena Vista Heights, San Francisco, California". Flickr. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "German Hospital". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Gender Forum: The San Francisco Experiment:". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Report of the Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children : Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children (San Francisco, Calif.) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive". Internet Archive. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Chapter 1.3: The Advent of Cooper Medical College (1870-1912)". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "San Francisco - The Hahnemann Hospital - Time Shutter". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Chapter 26.1: Lane Hospital 1895". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Taking Back the Power? Greater Freedom Through Winning HMOs' Trust". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "CALIFORNIA PACIFIC MEDICAL CENTER v. NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD". Findlaw. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Cal Pacific's miracle cure". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development - Facilities Development Division (FDD) Seismic Retrofit Program - SB 1953". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "DAVIES MEDICAL CENTER: To Be Acquired By California Pacific Medical Center". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "UCSF Stanford Merger - Special Topics - A History of UCSF". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Attorney General Lockyer Approves Sutter Health Affiliation With St. Luke's Hospital Conditioned on Continuing Charitable Care to San Francisco Community". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "SAN FRANCISCO: St. Luke's Sues CPMC For 'Skimming' Patients". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "BAY AREA: St. Luke's to Join Sutter Health System". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- cb. "California Pacific Medical Center 415-600-6000 | San Francisco Hospital Sutter Health Network". Cpmc.org. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Claims & Rebuttals". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Setback for Sutter after $1B EHR crashes". Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "CPMC Research Institute - Michael C. Rowbotham, MD". Cpmc.org. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Michael C. Rowbotham M.D. "Michael Rowbotham: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Hospital Staff. "David Schanaker, DC". Sutter health CPMC. Retrieved 2013-12-31.