California Secretary of State election, 2014
|Elections in California|
The 2014 California Secretary of State election will be held on November 4, 2014, to elect the Secretary of State of California. Incumbent Democratic Secretary of State Debra Bowen is term limited and not eligible to run for re-election to a third term.
Under California's new nonpartisan blanket primary law, all candidates will appear on the same ballot, regardless of party. The primary is scheduled for June 3, 2014. In the primary, voters may vote for any candidate, regardless of their party affiliation. The top two finishers — regardless of party — advance to the general election in November, even if a candidate manages to receive a majority of the votes cast in the primary election. Louisiana and Washington are the only other states with this system, a so-called "jungle primary".
- Derek Cressman, political reform and anti-dark money activist and former Vice President of Common Cause
- Alex Padilla, State Senator
- Pete Peterson, Executive Director of the Davenport Institute for Public Engagement at Pepperdine University
- David S. Curtis, architectural designer
- Daniel Schnur, former Chairman of the California Fair Political Practices Commission and former Republican strategist
|Field Poll||Mar. 18–Apr. 5, 2014||504||±4.5%||3%||5%||17%||30%||4%||—||<0.5%||41%|
- "June 3, 2014, Statewide Direct Primary Election". California Secretary of State. Mar 28, 2014. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Paul Blumenthal (March 5, 2014). "Derek Cressman Aims To Take The Citizens United Fight Inside Government". The Huffington Post. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Patrick McGreevy (April 11, 2013). "Sen. Alex Padilla announces run for California secretary of state". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "Indicted California state senator ends Secretary of State campaign". Reuters. Mar 27, 2014. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- Jean Merl (March 4, 2014). "Secretary of state candidates make their case at L.A. forum". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "California Secretary of State Candidate David Curtis Talks Green Politics". IVN. January 10, 2014. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Alex Gauthier (September 12, 2013). "Dan Schnur running for California Secretary of State". SCPR. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- California Secretary of State election, 2014 at Ballotpedia
- Campaign contributions at FollowTheMoney.org
- Official campaign websites
- Derek Cressman for Secretary of State
- David S. Curtis for Secretary of State
- Alex Padilla for Secretary of State
- Pete Peterson for Secretary of State
- Daniel Schnur for Secretary of State
- Leland Yee for Secretary of State