California Southern University
|California Southern University|
|Motto||Cognitio Vincet Omne|
|Motto in English||Knowledge conquers all|
|President||Dr. Caroll Ryan|
|Location||Irvine, California, US|
California Southern University (previously called Southern California University for Professional Studies prior to June 2007) is a private American university that began its operations in 1978. It offers associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in business, psychology, criminal justice, and law. California Southern University is located in Irvine, California.
The university was established in California on December 27, 1978, as a traditional correspondence school, and received its initial approval to offer degree programs from the California Department of Education. It originally offered associate level programs, then expanded to bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. During the 1990s, the university added distance learning programs in the fields of business, psychology and law.
Accreditation and approvals
California Southern University is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). The DETC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency and is a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). In September 2012, California Southern University began the application process for Accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. WASC determined that California Southern University is eligible to proceed with its application for Candidacy for Accreditation.
California Southern University is licensed to operate in California by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
California Southern University is a member of the California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools (CAPPS), and "Silver Sponsor" in the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA). Its School of Business is an "Educational Member" of the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Most Popular Programs: California Southern University offers 12 degree programs and 10 post-baccalaureate certificate programs.
|Program Name||Contact Hours||Tuition & Fees||Maximum Transfer Credits Accepted|
|1||Certificate in Industrial and Organizational Psychology||18||$7,285||N/A|
|2||Certificate in Alcoholism and Chemical Dependency||18||$7,285||N/A|
|3||Certificate in Human Resource Management||18||$7,285||N/A|
|4||Certificate in Project Management||18||$7,285||N/A|
|5||Bachelor of Arts in Psychology||120||$30,275||90|
|6||Bachelor of Business Administration||120||$30,275||90|
|7||Master of Arts in Psychology||62||$21,975||12|
|8||Master of Business Administration||36||$12,875||6|
|9||Doctor of Psychology||66||$29,345||9|
|10||Juris Doctor||88||$26,310||2 yrs.|
School of Behavioral Sciences
The Board of Psychology of the state of California accepts California Southern University's Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) degree as meeting the educational requirements for licensure to practice as a clinical psychologist.
The Board of Behavioral Sciences in the state of California accepts California Southern University's Master of Arts in Psychology (MA) degree as meeting the educational requirements for licensure to practice as a marriage and family therapist.
School of Law
|California Southern University
School of Law
|School type||Private correspondence law school|
|Dean||Ellen Sampong, JD|
|Bar pass rate||60% (3/5) (3 of 5 first-time takers in February 2013)|
The California Southern University School of Law offers two graduate-level degrees, the Master of Science in Law (MSL) and the Juris Doctor (JD). The school is registered with the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California as a "Registered Unaccredited Correspondence Law School", which is sufficient to qualify its graduates to sit for the California Bar Examination. It is not registered with the American Bar Association.
Bar Examination Pass Rate
In the February administration of the California Bar Examination in 2013, three of five first-time takers passed the examination, for a pass rate of 60 percent. For the years 2008 through 2013, 20 graduates have taken the California Bar Examination as first-time takers; of that number, five passed the examination for a pass rate of 20 percent.
- Southern California University for Professional Studies website, accessed December 21, 2007
- Online Degree Programs - California Southern University
- California Southern History – A Rich History of Pioneering history page on official site.
- DETC School Listing, DETC School Listing
- , California Southern University Applies for Accreditation With the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- California BPPE license info
- CAPPS Membership
- USDLA Silver Sponsorship
- IACBE Membership Status, School of Business, California Southern University
- CalSouthern’s Online Degree Programs: A Closer Look
- -California Board of Psychology
- BBS - Approved Schools with MFT Degree Programs
- CalSouthern History
- "General Statistics Report: February 2013 California Bar Examination". California State Bar. 7/30/2013.
- Registered Unaccredited Law Schools in California Law Schools, 8/31/10
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools by Year". ABA website. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- [http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/Examinations/2013_FEBRUARY2013STATS%20073013-r.pdf GENERAL STATISTICS REPORT, FEBRUARY 2013, CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION, OVERALL STATISTICS]
- State Bar of California Bar Examination Statistics