California State Controller election, 2014
|Elections in California|
The 2014 California State Controller election will be held on November 4, 2014, to elect the State Controller of California. Incumbent Democratic State Controller John Chiang is term-limited and cannot run for re-election to a third term.
A primary election was held on June 3, 2014. Under California's nonpartisan blanket primary law, all candidates will appear on the same ballot, regardless of party. In the primary, voters may vote for any candidate, regardless of their party affiliation. The top two finishers — regardless of party — advance to the general election in November, even if a candidate manages to receive a majority of the votes cast in the primary election. Louisiana and Washington are the only other states with this system, a so-called "jungle primary".
In the primary, Ashley Swearengin and Betty T. Yee finished first and second, respectively. John Pérez initially called for a recount in 15 counties after official results showed him trailing Yee by 481 votes; however, he ultimately conceded to Yee more than a month after the primary.
- Tammy D. Blair, administrator
- John Pérez, Speaker of the California State Assembly
- Betty T. Yee, Member of the State Board of Equalization
- David Evans, accountant, candidate for California's 22nd congressional district in 2006 and for Controller in 2010
- Ashley Swearengin, Mayor of Fresno
- Laura Wells, activist, retired financial and business analyst, nominee for Controller in 2002 and 2006 and nominee for Governor in 2010
|SurveyUSA||May 16–19, 2014||610||±4%||18%||31%||24%||8%||18%|
|Field Poll||Mar. 18–Apr. 5, 2014||504||±4.5%||14%||28%||19%||1%||38%|
|California State Controller primary election, 2014|
|Democratic||Betty T. Yee||878,195||21.7%|
|Democratic||Tammy D. Blair||200,532||5.0%|
- Megerian, Chris (6 July 2014). "John Pérez calls for recount in tight race for state controller". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "8 reasons to care about the recount in the state controller's race". KPCC. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- Wildermuth, John. "John Pérez concedes in California controller's race". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Official certified list of candidates". Controller. California Secretary of State. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Melanie Mason (October 9, 2013). "Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez announces bid for state controller". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Josh Richman (April 8, 2013). "Political Blotter: Board of Equalization member Betty Yee making a bid for state controller". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- Josh Richman (June 3, 2013). "Bill Lockyer won't run for controller, will retire from office at end of 2014". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- "State Controller". California Secretary of State. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- "Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin plans bid for state controller". Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Withdrawn: Tina Mizany for California State Controller (March 7, 2014). "With regret this notice is to inform everyone...". Facebook. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- California State Controller election, 2014 at Ballotpedia
- Campaign contributions at FollowTheMoney.org
- Official campaign websites
- David Evans for State Controller
- John Pérez for State Controller
- Betty T. Yee for State Controller
- Laura Wells for State Controller