California State Prison, Los Angeles County
|This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (August 2009)|
|Population||3,741 (162.7%) (as of 31 December 2012)|
|Managed by||California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation|
|Director||Brian Haws, Warden|
California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) is a male-only state prison located in the city of Lancaster, in Los Angeles County, California. The first and only state prison located in the county, it is also referenced as Los Angeles County State Prison, CSP-Los Angeles County. Only occasionally is the prison referred to as Lancaster State Prison, which was particularly avoided in 1992 partly to ease the stigma for Lancaster.
As of Fiscal Year 2006/2007, LAC had a total of 1,519 staff and an annual operating budget of $100 million. As of September 2007, it had a design capacity of 2,300 but a total institution population of 4,976, for an occupancy rate of 216.3 percent.
- Level I housing: Open dormitories without a secure perimeter
- Level IV housing: Cells, fenced or walled perimeters, electronic security, more staff and armed officers both inside and outside the installation
- Reception Center (RC): provides short term housing to process, classify and evaluate incoming inmate
Before the prison opened in 1993, Los Angeles County hosted no prisons but accounted for forty percent of California's state-prison inmates. "Most of Lancaster's civic leaders and residents" opposed the building of the prison, and four inmates escaped from LAC in its first year of operation. Nevertheless, by 2000 city residents' opinions of the prison had improved so much that a proposal to increase the proportion of maximum-security inmates received little criticism.
A 2006–2007 conversion "of roughly half of" LAC's facilities decreased the number of maximum security inmates and increased the number of reception center inmates. Since reception center inmates are at the prison for shorter times than maximum security inmates, the conversion may "reduce the number of families that will relocate to the region to be near a family member who is in the prison" and "reduce the number of prisoners who will want to relocate to the area after serving their sentences or after being released on parole".
- Lawrence Phillips
- Robert Rozier
- Brandon David McInerney - Murdered 15-year-old gay fellow student Lawrence Forbes "Larry" King, in 2008. Found guilty of Second-Degree Murder, Voluntary Manslaughter, and Use of a Firearm. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison.
- Big Lurch: murdered and ate part of lung of female acquaintance in 2002.
- Robert John Bardo: Murdered actress Rebecca Schaeffer in 1989
- Offender Information Services Branch (3 January 2013). Monthly Report of Population. California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. p. 2. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) (2009). "Mission Statement". California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Retrieved 2009-08-20.[dead link]
- Thomas Russell, Wendy. "7-year case against city finally ends". Long Beach Press-Telegram, June 2, 2007.
- Stoltze, Frank "Lancaster State Prison Offers Glimpse into Overcrowding Problem". KPCC Radio, April 26, 2007.
- Wolcott, Denis. "County Wants Valley's Name Dropped From New Prison". The Daily News of Los Angeles, December 30, 1992.
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Monthly Report of Population as of Midnight September 30, 2007.
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. California's Correctional Facilities. 15 Oct 2007.
- Wolcott, Denis. First Inmates Arrive at New Prison - Lancaster's 252 acre State Facility to Hold 2,200. Daily News of Los Angeles, February 2, 1993.
- Fox, Sue. "Prison, Lancaster Mend Fences and Build Tranquil Relationship". Los Angeles Times, May 14, 2000.
- Skeen, Jim. Conversion of A.V. "Prison Gets Support - Civic Leaders Say Change Will Lessen Crime in Area". Daily News of Los Angeles, December 23, 2006.
- "Inmate Locator". California Department of Corrections. Retrieved on January 29, 2011. "PHILLIPS, LAWRENCE LAMOND G31982 35 10/16/2008 Lancaster."
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Official website
- California State Prison, Los Angeles County—California Department of Corrections
- Aerial view of the prison