California State Route 116
|Defined by S&HC § 416|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length:||46.500 mi (74.834 km)
SR 116 is broken into pieces, and the length does not reflect the US 101 overlap that would be required to make the route continuous.
|West end:||SR 1 near Jenner|
| SR 12 in Sebastopol
US 101 in Petaluma
|East end:||SR 121 near Sonoma|
This route is part of the California Freeway and Expressway System and is eligible for the State Scenic Highway System. However, it is only a scenic highway as designated by Caltrans from SR 1 to the Sebastopol city limit.
State Route 116 proceeds east along the north bank of the Russian River, from State Route 1 to Guerneville, passing through Duncans Mills, Monte Rio, and Guernewood Park. In this section, it is generally called River Road.
At Guerneville, the route turns south-east and passes through Forestville, Graton, and Sebastopol (where it intersects State Route 12) to join U.S. Route 101 in Cotati. In this section, it is generally called Guerneville Highway or Gravenstein Highway.
The route follows the U.S. 101 alignment south from Cotati to Petaluma, a stretch Caltrans calls the Cotati Grade.
From southern Petaluma, State Route 116 diverges from 101 and heads east again, crossing the Sonoma Mountains directly north of Tolay Lake and descending into the Sonoma Valley to its terminus at State Route 121. In this section, it goes by several names: Lakeville Highway, Stage Gulch Road, and Arnold Drive.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary. The entire route is in Sonoma County.
|0.00||SR 1 – Bodega Bay, Jenner, Fort Bragg|
|21.80||Guerneville Road – Santa Rosa|
|SR 12 east (Sebastopol Avenue, Bodega Avenue) – Santa Rosa|
|US 101 north (Redwood Highway) / Gravenstein Highway – Eureka||Interchange; west end of US 101 overlap|
|West end of freeway on US 101|
|12.00[N 1]||481A||West Sierra Avenue – Cotati|
|10.67[N 1]||479||Railroad Avenue|
|Petaluma||5.76 [N 1]||476||Old Redwood Highway, Petaluma Boulevard North (US 101 Bus. south) – Penngrove|
|4.76[N 1]||474||East Washington Street – Central Petaluma|
|East end of freeway on US 101|
|US 101 south (Redwood Highway) / Lakeville Street – San Francisco||Interchange; east end of US 101 overlap|
|39.27||Lakeville Road – Lakeville, Vallejo|
|44.84||Arnold Drive – Sonoma|
|46.75||SR 121 / Bonneau Road – San Francisco, Napa|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Indicates that the postmile represents the distance along US 101 rather than SR 116.
- Staff. "State Truck Route List" (XLS file). California Department of Transportation. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- CA Codes (shc:250-257)
- CA Codes (shc:260-284)
- "Officially Designated State Scenic Highways and Historic Parkways". California Department of Transportation. December 7, 2007. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- California Department of Transportation, Log of Bridges on State Highways, July 2007
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
- California Department of Transportation, California Numbered Exit Uniform System, U.S. Route 101 Freeway Interchanges, Retrieved on 2009-02-07.