California State Route 98
|Defined by S&HC § 398|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length:||56.858 mi (91.504 km)|
|West end:||I‑8 near Ocotillo|
|SR 111 in Calexico|
State Route 98 (SR 98) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California. It is a loop from Interstate 8 (I-8) running west to east south of the Interstate through the border city of Calexico, California. It passes through the city of Calexico and goes and Ends near El Centro. ( Known as Birch Road in Calexico. )
SR 98 begins at an interchange with I-8 southwest of the community of Ocotillo. The highway intersects CR S2 and passes south of Coyote Wells before turning due east through the Colorado Desert. After over forty miles of desert, SR 98 intersects with CR S29 and then CR S30, the latter in the community of Mount Signal. The road passes over the New River and intersects CR S31 before entering the border city of Calexico, just opposite from Mexicali, the capital of the Mexican state of Baja California. SR 98 intersects SR 111, the north-south highway connecting Mexicali and El Centro, before leaving the city and continuing east through rural Imperial County. After meeting SR 7, SR 98 goes through the community of Bonds Corner before intersecting CR S33. SR 98 then parallels the All American Canal before terminating at I-8 at Midway Well. 
The highway was originally designated as Route 202 in 1933. By 1936, a road headed due south from Seeley, heading east through Calexico and Bonds Corners. The easternmost portion of the highway was unpaved. In the 1964 state highway renumbering, the highway was officially renumbered as Route 98.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then. The entire route is in Imperial County.
|R0.30||I‑8 west – San Diego||Interchange; westbound exit and eastbound entrance|
|1.52||CR S2 (Imperial Highway) to I‑8 east – Ocotillo, Plaster City, El Centro|
|22.20||CR S29 (Drew Road) to I‑8 – Seeley|
|Mount Signal||CR S30 (Brockman Road)|
|30.27||CR S31 (Dogwood Road)|
|Calexico||32.31||SR 111 (Imperial Avenue) to I‑8 – El Centro, Calexico||Former US 99|
|39.56||SR 7 – International Border|
|43.68||CR S33 (Bonesteele Road)|
|56.88||I‑8 – San Diego, Yuma||Interchange|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff. "State Truck Route List" (XLS file). California Department of Transportation. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- Thomas Brothers (2009). San Diego County Street Atlas (Map).
- California State Legislature (1933). "An act...relating to...the addition of certain highways to the State system". State of California. 1933 chapter 767.
- California Division of Highways (1936). Road Map of California (Map). http://www.cosmos-monitor.com/ca/map1936/san-diego-orange-imperial.html.
- California State Legislature (1963). "An act...relating to routes on the state highway system". State of California. 1963 chapter 385.
- California Department of Transportation, Log of Bridges on State Highways, July 2007
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006