California Technology Agency
|California Technology Agency|
|Formed||January 1, 2007|
|Preceding agencies||Department of Technology Services (DTS)
Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO)
|Agency executive||Carlos Ramos, Secretary of California Technology|
The California Technology Agency (CTA) is California's cabinet-level agency with statutory authority over IT strategic vision and planning, enterprise architecture, policy, and project approval and oversight. The current Secretary of California Technology (also known as the CIO) is Carlos Ramos.
They operate Calinfo, a peer-to-peer e-Government website for the State of California’s information technology employees. It was created by the State of California's IT Manager's Academy, part of the CTA.
The Department of Technology Services (DTS) was a department within the California State and Consumer Services Agency established by the Governor's Reorganization Plan No. 2 effective 9 July 2005. The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) was authorized by S.B. 834 in 2006 (Chapter 533, Statutes of 2006). The Governor reorganized the office with the Governor's Reorganization Plan No. 1 of 2009, which was approved by the Little Hoover Commission and the Legislature, and took effect 10 May 2009. In the reorganization, the office subsumed the Office of Information Security within the Office of Information Security and Privacy Protection, the Department of Technology Services, and the Department of General Services' Telecommunications Division. The office was similarly reorganized as the California Technology Agency and the Secretary of California Technology by A.B. 2408 (Chapter 404, Statutes of 2010) which took effect 1 January 2011.
By law, there is within the CTA the following offices and officers:
- Office of Technology Services, managed by a Director
- Office of Information Security, managed by a Director
- Public Safety Communications Division, managed by a Director
As well as several others including:
- Assistant Secretary for Geospatial Information Systems (GIO)
- Assistant Secretary for Health Information Systems
- California Government Code §11545
- Office of the Governor (June 27, 2011). "Governor Brown Announces Appointments". State of California. Retrieved July 29, 2011.
- "California Creates Portal for State's 10,000 IT Workers". e.Republic. 2010-05-19. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- "ITMA class unveils new collaboration portal for state IT community", The Tech Blog at the California Technology Agency website
- A Review of the Governor's Reorganization Plan to Consolidate Information Technology Functions, Little Hoover Commission
- California Government Code § 11534
- California Government Code § 11549
- California Government Code § 15277