List of breweries in California
This list of breweries in California, both current and defunct, and includes both microbreweries and larger industrial scale breweries. Brewing companies range widely in the volume and variety of beer produced, ranging from small breweries to massive multinational conglomerates. Since 1983, California has allowed breweries to sell beer on their premises, giving rise to numerous brewpubs and microbreweries.
Breweries in California produce a wide range of beers in different styles that are marketed locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. In 2012 California's 458 breweries, importers, brewpubs, and company-owned packagers and wholesalers employed over 7,000 people directly, and more than 109,000 others in related jobs such as wholesaling and retailing. Including people directly employed in brewing, as well as those who supply California's breweries with everything from ingredients to machinery, the total business and personal tax revenue generated by California's breweries and related industries was more than $5.1 billion. Consumer purchases of California's brewery products generated another $1.1 billion in tax revenue. In 2012, according to the Brewers Association, California ranked 1st in the number of craft breweries, and 19th per capita with 325.
For context, at the end of 2013 there were 2,822 breweries in the United States, including 2,768 craft breweries subdivided into 1,237 bfrewpubs, 1,412 microbreweries and 119 regional craft breweries. In that same year, according to the Beer Institute, the brewing industry employed around 43,000 Americans in brewing and distribution and had a combined economic impact of more than $246 billion.
- 1 Breweries by county
- 1.1 Alameda County
- 1.2 Butte County
- 1.3 Contra Costa County
- 1.4 Fresno County
- 1.5 Humboldt County
- 1.6 Kern County
- 1.7 Lake County
- 1.8 Los Angeles County
- 1.9 Marin County
- 1.10 Mendocino County
- 1.11 Nevada County
- 1.12 Orange County
- 1.13 Plumas County
- 1.14 Riverside County
- 1.15 San Bernardino County
- 1.16 San Diego County
- 1.17 San Francisco City and County
- 1.18 San Joaquin County
- 1.19 San Luis Obispo County
- 1.20 San Mateo County
- 1.21 Santa Barbara County
- 1.22 Santa Clara County
- 1.23 Siskiyou County
- 1.24 Sonoma County
- 1.25 Stanislaus County
- 1.26 Ventura County
- 1.27 Yolo County
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 Further reading
- 5 External links
Breweries by county
- Ale Industries in Oakland
- Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, the first brewpub licensed in California since Prohibition
- Drake's Brewing Company in San Leandro
- Hoi Polloi Brewpub and Beat Lounge in Berkeley
- Linden Street Brewery in Oakland
- Pyramid Breweries in Berkeley
- The Rare Barrel in Berkeley
- Triple Rock Brewery and Alehouse in Berkeley
- Trumer Brauerei in Berkeley
Contra Costa County
- Eel River Brewing Company in Fortuna
- Humboldt Brews in Arcata
- Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka
- Mad River Brewing Company in Blue Lake
- Redwood Curtain Brewing Company in Arcata
- Six Rivers Brewery in McKinleyville
Los Angeles County
- Alosta Brewing Co in Covina
- Angel City Brewery in Los Angeles
- Claremont Craft Ales in Claremont
- Eagle Rock Brewery in Los Angeles
- El Segundo Brewing Company in El Segundo
- Golden Road Brewery in Los Angeles
- Gordon Biersch Brewing Company in Burbank
- Monkish Brewing Company in Torrance
- Ohana Brewing Company in Los Angeles
- Skyscraper Brewing Company in El Monte
- Smog City Brewing Company in Torrance
- Timeless Pints Brewing Company in Lakewood
- Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Boonville
- Mendocino Brewing Company in Ukiah
- North Coast Brewing Company in Fort Bragg
- Boca Brewing Company in Boca
- FiftyFifty Brewing Company in Truckee
- Nevada Brewery in Nevada City
- Anaheim Brewery in Anaheim
- Bootlegger's Brewery in Fullerton
- The Bruery in Placentia
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewpub in Costa Mesa
- Noble Ale Works in Anaheim
- Old Orange Brewing Company in Orange
- Steelhead Brewing Company in Irvine (opened 1995, closed 2013)
- Black Market Brewing Company in Temecula
- Blind Pig Brewing Company in Temecula (opened 1994, closed 1997)
- Inland Empire Brewing Company in Riverside
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewpub in Temecula
San Bernardino County
San Diego County
San Francisco City and County
- 21st Amendment Brewery
- Acme Brewery (opened 1907, closed 1958)
- Almanac Beer Company
- Anchor Brewing Company
- San Francisco Brewing Company (opened 1985, closed 2009)
- Speakeasy Ales and Lagers
San Joaquin County
San Luis Obispo County
San Mateo County
Santa Barbara County
Santa Clara County
- Bear Republic Brewing Company in Healdsburg
- Lagunitas Brewing Company in Petaluma
- Moonlight Brewing Company in Santa Rosa
- New Albion Brewing Company in Sonoma (opened 1976, closed 1982)
- Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa
- Sonoma Springs Brewing Company in Sonoma
- St. Florian's Brewery in Windsor
- Third Street Aleworks in Santa Rosa
- Old Redwood Brewing Company in Windsor
- Beer in the United States
- List of breweries in the United States
- List of microbreweries
- History of California wine
- "The Economic Impact of the Beer Industry--State Legislative & Congressional District Data, California". The Beer Institute. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "The Economic Impact of the Beer Industry--2012 Data, California". The Beer Institute. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Capita per Brewery". Brewers Association. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Brewers Association Announces 2013 Craft Brewer Growth". Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Beer Serves America". The Beer Institute. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Pape, Allie (16 July 2013). "Ale Industries Opening Oakland Brewery and Taproom". Eater. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Fletcher, Ethan (3 April 2014). "Ale Industries debuts new production brewery in Oakland". SF Gate. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- Fletcher, Ethan (5 June 2014). "The East Bay beer boom continues with four new openings". Hearst Communications Inc. SF Gate. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Somerville, Heather (2 January 2014). "Berkeley's The Rare Barrel finds sweet spot with sour brews". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- McInnis, Jane (13 November 2013). "It's a Festivus Miracle Out of Schubros Brewery". San Ramon Patch. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Jones, Lindsey (April 10, 2012), "Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Co. offers something for everyone", The Collegian at Fresno State.
- The old Fresno Brewing Company building is listing #84000773 in the National Register of Historic Places in Fresno County. A new brewery with the same name opened in a different location in 2011; see "Word on the Street: Fresno Brewing Company is part of downtown revitalization", Clovis Independent, December 25, 2011.
- O'Rourke, Tim (November 20, 2013). "Your guide to Northern California Craft Beer Country". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Steve Johnson (1 March 1997). America's Best Brews: The Definitive Guide to More Than 375 Craft Beers from Coast to Coast. Taylor Trade Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4616-6164-1.
- Goff, Andrew (October 20, 2011), "Know Your Humboldt Breweries: Redwood Curtain Brewery", North Coast Journal
- O'Rourke, Tim (November 20, 2013). "Five under-the-radar Northern California coastal breweries". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Six Female-Owned Breweries In Honor of Int'l Women's Day, Brooklyn Brew Shop, March 8, 2012, retrieved January 16, 2014
- Jay R. Brooks (1 August 2013). California Breweries North. Stackpole Books. pp. 253–. ISBN 978-0-8117-1158-6.
- Valerie Cassity (October 25, 2011). "Kern River Brewing Company snags gold in Colorado beer fest". Kern Valley Sun. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- John Plessel (November 20, 2013). "Covina's Alosta Brewing Co. opens". Inside SoCal. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- John Verive (August 17, 2013). "Angel City Brewery set to unveil -- wait for it -- an avocado beer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- John Plessel (July 24, 2013). "Claremont Craft Ales turns one, throws party, collects shoes". Inside SoCal.
- John Verive (June 27, 2013). "Eagle Rock Brewery best in the world -- too bad the beer is sold out". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Todd Martens (February 14, 2013). "El Segundo Brewing is now available in bottles". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Jessica Gelt (July 7, 2012). "Meg Gill's heady run at Golden Road Brewing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Verive, John (January 2, 2014). "The three most important Southern California craft beers of 2013". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- John Verive (August 21, 2013). "Dog-friendly brewpubs: Five spots to enjoy craft beer with your pooch". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Lydia Chain (June 7, 2013). "Ohana Brewing's First Bottle Release: Rhino's Redemption". Beer Paper LA. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- John Verive (April 30, 2013). "Smog City Brewing opens its own 20-tap tasting room and brewery". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Edwards, Andrew (August 11, 2013), "Lakewood’s Timeless Pints enters microbrew scene", Press-Telegram.
- Coates, Guy H. "Boca: The Town of Boca played a significant role in Truckee’s past". Truckee Donner Historical Society, Inc. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- Luna, Nancy (June 29, 2011), "Anaheim Brewery opens Friday", Orange County Register.
- Lieberman, Dave (July 5, 2011), "Hops to It! Anaheim Brewery Opens", OC Weekly.
- "Best Brewery Orange County 2011 - Noble Ale Works", OC Weekly, 2011.
- Lieberman, Dave (December 23, 2011), "Hops to It! Craft Beer Comes to Orange at Old Orange Brewing", OC Weekly.
- Jilian Beck (August 21, 2013), "Steelhead Brewing to close in Irvine", The Orange County Register.
- "TEMECULA: Black Market a serious craft brew destination", The Press-Enterprise, 2013.
- Hernández, Brandon (Summer 2010). "Blind Pig Brewing Closes". The Beer Connoisseur. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- Aaron Carroll (March 18, 2013). "Inland Empire Brewing Company Celebrates its 4th Anniversary in Style". Beer Paper LA. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- Globe Pequot Press; Kristofor Barnes (18 February 2014). Beer Lover's Southern California: Best Breweries, Brewpubs & Beer Bars. Globe Pequot. ISBN 978-0-7627-9200-9.
- Bevk, Alex (19 April 2013). "Start Off Your Friday With the Old Acme Brewery". Curbed SF. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- Hardesty, Kathy Marcks (February 23, 2011), "Home brewers go big time -- like it's no big deal!", San Luis Obispo New Times.
- John Holland (April 20, 2010), "Turlock Brewery honors Dust Bowl", Modesto Bee.
- Todd Martens (November 25, 2011). "Beer Notes: Surf Brewery". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Brooks, Jay R. (December 16, 2013). "Brooks on Beer: 23 new NorCal breweries this year". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Levin, Sam (September 5, 2013). "California Beer Bill Would Permit Growler Refills at Breweries". East Bay Express. Retrieved 31 January 2014.