List of breweries in California
This is a list of breweries in California, both current and defunct. According to the Brewers Association, there were over 2,500 breweries in the U.S., as of June 2013. This list includes both microbreweries and larger industrial scale breweries. Brewing companies range widely in the volume and variety of beer produced, ranging from small breweries to massive multinational conglomerates. Since 1983, California has allowed breweries to sell beer on their premises, giving rise to numerous brewpubs and microbreweries. California is the 3rd most extensive by area and the most populous state in the United States. In 2013, California had 316 craft breweries, more than any other state in the nation.
- 1 Breweries by county
- 1.1 Alameda County
- 1.2 Butte County
- 1.3 Contra Costa County
- 1.4 Fresno County
- 1.5 Humboldt County
- 1.6 Kern County
- 1.7 Lake County
- 1.8 Los Angeles County
- 1.9 Marin County
- 1.10 Mendocino County
- 1.11 Nevada County
- 1.12 Orange County
- 1.13 Plumas County
- 1.14 Riverside County
- 1.15 San Bernardino County
- 1.16 San Diego County
- 1.17 San Francisco County
- 1.18 San Joaquin County
- 1.19 San Luis Obispo County
- 1.20 San Mateo County
- 1.21 Santa Barbara County
- 1.22 Santa Clara County
- 1.23 Siskiyou County
- 1.24 Sonoma County
- 1.25 Stanislaus County
- 1.26 Ventura County
- 1.27 Yolo County
- 2 See also
- 3 References
- 4 Further reading
- 5 External links
Breweries by county
- Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, the first brewpub licensed in California since Prohibition
- Drake's Brewing Company in San Leandro
- Pyramid Breweries in Berkeley
- The Rare Barrel in Berkeley
- Triple Rock Brewery and Alehouse in Berkeley
- Trumer Brauerei in Berkeley
Contra Costa County
- Eel River Brewing Company in Fortuna
- Humboldt Brews in Arcata
- Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka
- Mad River Brewing Company in Blue Lake
- Redwood Curtain Brewing Company in Arcata
- Six Rivers Brewery in McKinleyville
Los Angeles County
- Alosta Brewing Co in Covina
- Angel City Brewery in Los Angeles
- Claremont Craft Ales in Claremont
- Eagle Rock Brewery in Los Angeles
- El Segundo Brewing Company in El Segundo
- Golden Road Brewery in Los Angeles
- Gordon Biersch Brewing Company in Burbank
- Monkish Brewing Company in Torrance
- Skyscraper Brewing Company in El Monte
- Smog City Brewing Company in Torrance
- Timeless Pints Brewing Company in Lakewood
- Anderson Valley Brewing Company in Boonville
- Mendocino Brewing Company in Ukiah
- North Coast Brewing Company in Fort Bragg
- Boca Brewing Company in Boca
- FiftyFifty Brewing Company in Truckee
- Nevada Brewery in Nevada City
- Anaheim Brewery in Anaheim
- Bootlegger's Brewery in Fullerton
- The Bruery in Placentia
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewpub in Costa Mesa
- Noble Ale Works in Anaheim
- Old Orange Brewing Company in Orange
- Steelhead Brewing Company in Irvine (opened 1995, closed 2013)
- Black Market Brewing Company in Temecula 
- Inland Empire Brewing Company in Riverside
- Karl Strauss Brewing Company brewpub in Temecula
- Packinghouse Brewing Company in Riverside
San Bernardino County
San Diego County
San Francisco County
- 21st Amendment Brewery
- Almanac Beer Company
- Anchor Brewing Company
- San Francisco Brewing Company
- Speakeasy Ales and Lagers
San Joaquin County
San Luis Obispo County
San Mateo County
Santa Barbara County
Santa Clara County
- Bear Republic Brewing Company in Healdsburg
- Lagunitas Brewing Company in Petaluma
- Moonlight Brewing Company in Santa Rosa
- New Albion Brewing Company in Sonoma
- Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa
- Sonoma Springs Brewing Company in Sonoma
- St. Florian's Brewery in Windsor
- Third Street Aleworks in Santa Rosa
- Old Redwood Brewing Company in Windsor
- Beer in the United States
- List of breweries in the United States
- List of microbreweries
- History of California wine
- "Number of Breweries". Brewers Association. June 2013. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- Area measurement, U.S. Census's Census 2000 Geographic Definitions
- Resident Population Data - 2010 Census
- Brad Tuttle (July 4, 2013). "Craft-Beer Saturation? Some Worry About Too Much of a Good Thing". TIME.com. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- John Michael Verive (April 10, 2013), California Has the Most Big Craft Breweries In the Country, Beer of Tomorrow: Craft Beer in the City of Angels, retrieved January 21, 2014
- Somerville, Heather (2 January 2014). "Berkeley's The Rare Barrel finds sweet spot with sour brews". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Pape, Allie (16 July 2013). "Ale Industries Opening Oakland Brewery and Taproom". Eater. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Jones, Lindsey (April 10, 2012), "Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Co. offers something for everyone", The Collegian at Fresno State.
- O'Rourke, Tim (November 20, 2013). "Your guide to Northern California Craft Beer Country". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Steve Johnson (1 March 1997). America's Best Brews: The Definitive Guide to More Than 375 Craft Beers from Coast to Coast. Taylor Trade Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4616-6164-1.
- Goff, Andrew (October 20, 2011), "Know Your Humboldt Breweries: Redwood Curtain Brewery", North Coast Journal
- O'Rourke, Tim (November 20, 2013). "Five under-the-radar Northern California coastal breweries". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Six Female-Owned Breweries In Honor of Int'l Women's Day, Brooklyn Brew Shop, March 8, 2012, retrieved January 16, 2014
- Jay R. Brooks (1 August 2013). California Breweries North. Stackpole Books. pp. 253–. ISBN 978-0-8117-1158-6.
- Valerie Cassity (October 25, 2011). "Kern River Brewing Company snags gold in Colorado beer fest". Kern Valley Sun. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- John Plessel (November 20, 2013). "Covina's Alosta Brewing Co. opens". Inside SoCal. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- John Verive (August 17, 2013). "Angel City Brewery set to unveil -- wait for it -- an avocado beer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- John Plessel (July 24, 2013). "Claremont Craft Ales turns one, throws party, collects shoes". Inside SoCal.
- John Verive (June 27, 2013). "Eagle Rock Brewery best in the world -- too bad the beer is sold out". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Todd Martens (February 14, 2013). "El Segundo Brewing is now available in bottles". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Jessica Gelt (July 7, 2012). "Meg Gill's heady run at Golden Road Brewing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Verive, John (January 2, 2014). "The three most important Southern California craft beers of 2013". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- John Verive (August 21, 2013). "Dog-friendly brewpubs: Five spots to enjoy craft beer with your pooch". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- John Verive (April 30, 2013). "Smog City Brewing opens its own 20-tap tasting room and brewery". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Edwards, Andrew (August 11, 2013), "Lakewood’s Timeless Pints enters microbrew scene", Press-Telegram.
- Coates, Guy H. "Boca: The Town of Boca played a significant role in Truckee’s past". Truckee Donner Historical Society, Inc. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- Luna, Nancy (June 29, 2011), "Anaheim Brewery opens Friday", Orange County Register.
- Lieberman, Dave (July 5, 2011), "Hops to It! Anaheim Brewery Opens", OC Weekly.
- "Best Brewery Orange County 2011 - Noble Ale Works", OC Weekly, 2011.
- Lieberman, Dave (December 23, 2011), "Hops to It! Craft Beer Comes to Orange at Old Orange Brewing", OC Weekly.
- Jilian Beck (August 21, 2013), "Steelhead Brewing to close in Irvine", The Orange County Register.
- "TEMECULA: Black Market a serious craft brew destination", The Press-Enterprise, 2013.
- Globe Pequot Press; Kristofor Barnes (18 February 2014). Beer Lover's Southern California: Best Breweries, Brewpubs & Beer Bars. Globe Pequot. ISBN 978-0-7627-9200-9.
- Hardesty, Kathy Marcks (February 23, 2011), "Home brewers go big time -- like it's no big deal!", San Luis Obispo New Times.
- John Holland (April 20, 2010), "Turlock Brewery honors Dust Bowl", Modesto Bee.
- Todd Martens (November 25, 2011). "Beer Notes: Surf Brewery". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- Brooks, Jay R. (December 16, 2013). "Brooks on Beer: 23 new NorCal breweries this year". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Levin, Sam (September 5, 2013). "California Beer Bill Would Permit Growler Refills at Breweries". East Bay Express. Retrieved 31 January 2014.