Californians Against Waste
|Motto||Conserving Resources. Preventing Pollution. Protecting the Environment.|
Californians Against Waste is an American environmental advocacy organization that takes action on local, state and national levels to conserve natural resources and prevent pollution through the expansion of a recycling economy. The organization is headquartered in Sacramento, CA.
Californians Against Waste was founded in the 1970s to advocate for the establishment of a Bottle Bill in California. After California's Bottle Bill passed in 1986, Californians Against Waste has continued to lobby for recycling and other legislation in the California Legislature and elsewhere. In 2006, Californians Against Waste sponsored legislation by California State Assembly member Lloyd Levine (D-Van Nuys) that created the nation's first, mandatory, in-store recycling program for plastic bags and required California supermarkets to offer reusable bags for sale. In 2007, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Assembly Bill 1109 by California State Assembly member Jared Huffman (D-Santa Rosa). This CAW sponsored legislation establishes mandatory reduction in electricity usage for lighting, effectively establishing a phased ban of incandescent bulbs in California, along with reducing hazardous materials in today's lighting. In 2008 CAW sponsored, but failed to pass, legislation that would have expanded California's Bottle Bill to include all plastic bottles and an attempt to require stores to charge a green fee on all single-use carryout bags.
Californians Against Waste has lobbied mostly on solid waste and recycling issues. It focuses on updating California's Bottle Bill, E-waste recycling and toxicity issues, landfills and waste issues and their role in implementation of California's Greenhouse Gas Law, general environmental issues and banning foamed polystyrene takeout food packaging. Californians Against Waste also campaign to reduce the source of marine debris.
Notable legislative campaigns
- California Assembly Bill 2020 (1986) - California Beverage Container Recycling and Litter Reduction Act.
- California Assembly Bill 939 (1989) - California Integrated Waste Management Act
- California Assembly Bill 1305 (1989) - California Recycled Newsprint Act
- California Senate Bill 20 (2004) - California Electronic Waste Recycling Act
- California Assembly Bill 2901 (2004) - California Cell Phone Recycling Act
- California Assembly Bill 1125 (2005) - California Rechargeable Battery Recycling Act
- California Assembly Bill 2449 (2006) - California Plastic Bag Supermarket Recycling Act
- California Assembly Bill 1109 (2007) - California Lighting Efficiency and Toxics Reduction Act
- "News 10 ABC Sacramento Profile: Californians Against Waste". Retrieved 2007-10-07.[dead link]
- "Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Legislation Promoting Solar Power, Energy and Water Efficiency.". Governor's Press Release. 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "CAW Website: SB 1625 (2008)". Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "CAW Website: AB 2058 (2008)". Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "News 10 ABC Sacramento Profile: Californians Against Waste". Retrieved 2007-10-08.[dead link]
- "Californians Against Waste Site: "Our Accomplishments"". Retrieved 2007-10-08.