- For the Italian saint with this name, see Calimerius.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
Calimero poster showing two of the main characters.
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yugo Serikawa|
|Network||NET (now TV Asahi)|
|Original run||October 15, 1974 – September 30, 1975|
|Anime television series|
|Original run||October 15, 1992 – September 9, 1993|
Calimero (カリメロ Karimero?) is an Italian/Japanese cartoon about a charming, but hapless anthropomorphized cartoon chicken; the only black one in a family of yellow chickens. He wears half of his egg shell still on his head. Calimero originally appeared on the Italian television show Carosello on July 14, 1963, and soon became a popular icon in Italy.
The characters were created by the animation studio Organizzazione Pagot and originated as a series of animated advertisements for Miralanza AVA soap products shown throughout Italy. At the end of each episode, it turns out that Calimero is not actually black, but only very dirty, and becomes white after being washed by the advertised soap products.
The characters were later licensed in Japan as an anime series, twice. The first was made by Toei Animation and ran from October 15, 1974 to September 30, 1975, and the second, with new settings and characters, was made in 1992. Altogether, 99 Japanese episodes were made (47 in the 1974 Toei series, and 52 in the 1992 Toei series). The series mostly consists of the many adventures of Calimero and his friends as they solve mysteries and make documentaries. However, their adventures usually get them into quite a bit of trouble. The first series was also broadcast on European networks such as TROS (Netherlands and Belgium), ZDF and RTL II (Germany) or TVE (Spain).
- Calimero (カリメロ?) – The hero of the show. Calimero is voiced by Katsue Miwa.
- Priscilla (プリシラ?) – Calimero's girlfriend, a shy bird with common sense. Priscilla is voiced by Michiko Nomura.
- Peter Jobatta (ピーター ジョバッタ Papero Piero in the Italian original spot?) – Peter is voiced by Kaneta Kimotsuki.
- Buta (ブータ?) – Buta is voiced by Masako Nozawa.
- Deppa (デッパ?) – Deppa is voiced by Sachiko Chijimatsu.
- Calimero's mother (カリメロの母 Cesira in the italian original spot?) – Calimero's mother is voiced by Masako Nozawa.
- Calimero's father (カリメロの父 Gallettoni in the Italian original spot?) – Calimero's father is voiced by Ken'ichi Ogata.
- Mr. Owl (フクロウ先生?) – Mr. Owl is voiced by Jōji Yanami.
- Calimero – Calimero is voiced by Shinobu Adachi.
- Priscilla – Priscilla is voiced by Akemi Okamura.
- Peter (ピーター?) – Peter is voiced by Akirasa Ōmori.
- Giuliano (ジュリアーノ?) – Giuliano is voiced by Yūji Ueda.
- Susie (スージー?) – a wealthy girl duck. Susie is voiced by Natsumi Sasaki.
- Roshita (ロシータ?) – Roshita is voiced by Hiroko Kasahara.
In the Netherlands and Belgium, the term "Calimero complex" is used to denote someone who thinks the world is against them because they are an underdog; often the character's lines from the show are cited, "They are big and I is [sic] small and that is not fair, oh no!" (translated back from the Dutch, with intentional error).