Calingiri, Western Australia
Cavell Street, Calingiri, 2014
|Population||111 (2006 Census)|
|Elevation||258 m (846 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Victoria Plains|
The town derives its name from Calingiri Waterhole, the name of which was first recorded by a surveyor in 1903. The settlement was first proposed in 1914. By the time the town was gazetted in 1917 it was variously spelt as Calingtry, Kalingiri, The Washpool, Kalingary, Calingarra, Calingtry, Calingiry, Kalingiry and finally Calingiri.
The Calingiri earthquake, March 1970
The Calingiri earthquake of March 1970 was at the time one of only five known Australian recorded earthquakes to cause surface faulting. It was thought to be related to the Meckering earthquake (October 1968), but a direct connection was not made at the time.
- Date of occurrence: 10 March 1970
- Time: 17:15 GMT (03:15 Local Time)
- Latitude: 31.11 South (+/- 10 km)
- Longitude: 116.46 East (+/- 10 km)
- Magnitude: 5.9
- The maximum felt intensity for the earthquake was VI (6) on the Modified Mercalli scale.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Calingiri (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-09-26.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – C". Retrieved 2007-06-08.
- "CBH Receival Sites - Contact Details" (PDF). 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "IBA: Calingiri". Birdata. Birds Australia. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- "Rica Erickson - Reserve near Calingiri named after botanist", Calm News, official newspaper of the Department of Conservation and Land Management, Sept-Oct 1996, p. 12
- McGill, Gwenda. (1996) "Reserve officially named after Dr Rica Erickson in honour of her botanical and preservation work in the area", Avon Valley Advocate, 14 August 1996, p. 3
- Buchanan, Bruce (1997) Wannamal: a history Perth [W.A.]: Curtin Printing Services, Curtin University of Technology (history of the district in the Chittering Shire and into Gingin, Bindoon, Calingiri, Wongan Hills and north to Three Springs)
- Gaull, B.A., and P.J. Gregson (1991) 'A new local magnitude scale for Western Australian earthquakes' Australian journal of earth sciences, Vol. 38, no. 3 (July 1991), pp. 251–260
- Gordon, F.R., and J.D. Lewis, (1980) 'The Meckering and Calingiri earthquakes, October 1968 and March 1970'. Geol. Surv. WA Bulletin 126 (1980)
Media related to Calingiri, Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons